Randal Grichuk had a huge day at the plate with 2 HR and 4 RBI as the Blue Jays defeated the Nationals 8-6 to complete the series sweep.
- The Nationals took the lead in the top of the 2nd as Wilmer Difo singled to score Michael Taylor
- Difo would later score on a balk by Sam Gaviglio
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Randal Grichuk homered to left
- The Nationals added one more in the top of the 3rd as Daniel Murphy singled home Anthony Rendon
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the inning as Kevin Pillar doubled home Yangervis Solarte
- Two batters later, Grichuk walked to force in Kendrys Morales
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 4th on a Morales single that scored Curtis Granderson.
- Sam Gaviglio pitching line: 4IP 6H 3R (2 earned) 2BB 6K 77 pitches (49 for strikes)
- Tanner Roark pitching line: 4IP 8H 4R (all earned) 2BB 2K 97 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Toronto added one more in the bottom of the 5th on a Grichuk HR to center.
- The Nationals got one back in the top of the 6th as Brian Goodwin doubled scoring Taylor
- Two batters later, Adam Eaton double to score Goodwin
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 7th as Grichuk singled up the middle to score Pillar
- The Nationals tied it in the top of the 8th as Goodwin singled home Juan Soto
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 8th as Teoscar Hernadez crushed a HR to left
- The next batter, Solarte hit one over the wall in right
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Nationals 6
- Both starting pitchers were out of the game after the 4th inning. Sam Gaviglio had a number of deep counts that drove up his pitch count. This is his second straight short outing (he lasted just 3.1 innings against TB earlier this week). With Marcus Stroman getting closer to returning to the rotation, Gaviglio might make 1 or 2 more spot starts.
- Joe Biagini gave up another 2 runs on 3 hits. He had a clean inning in the 5th, but could get only 1 out in the 6th.
- Ryan Tepera was excellent again, getting Bryce Harper to fly out to escape a bases loaded jam. He then came back in the 9th inning and retired the side in order.
- Randal Grichuk had a terrific with 2 HR and a single and 4RBI.
- Teoscar Hernandez also had a great day at the plate, with a 3-4 effort, including the GW HR.
- This game was back and forth right from the get-go. It was great to see the team pull out a win and sweep the series.
- Blue Jays pitching really did a nice job with handling Bryce Harper. The Nationals' big slugger had just 2 hits this weekend and really was a non-factor in this series.
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays face the Braves in yet another interleague contest at the Roger's center with Lefty Jaime Garcia pitching against Calgary native Michael Sorota.