Marco Estrada pitched 6.2 strong innings to lead the Blue Jays to a 2-0 victory over the Washington Nationals.
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 5th as Devon Travis took Max Scherzer deep for a 2 run shot that also scored Luke Maile
- Max Scherzer pitching line: 6IP 4H 2R (both earned) 1BB 10K 108 pitches (75 for strikes)
- Marco Estrada pitching line: 6.2IP 3H 0R 2BB 4K 109 pitches (76 for strikes)
- Tyler Clippard picked up his 3rd save of the year
- Final score: Blue Jays 2 Nationals 0
- Marco Estrada had an excellent start today, matching counterpart Max Scherzer pitch for pitch. The only innings he had trouble were the 1st inning, when he walked the leadoff batter and Michael Taylor reached on a surprise bunt single with 2 outs to put runners on 1st and 2nd and the 7th when Estrada also gave up a lead off walk and 2 out single. He had perfect innings in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings. The last 2 or 3 starts have looked like Estrada has found his groove.
- Devon Travis hit a 2 run HR in the 5th inning and that was all the offence the Blue Jays needed today. Curtis Granderson, Teoscar Hernandez, Luke Maile. and Kendrys Morales were the only other Blue Jays to reach base today.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for the series sweep tomorrow as Sam Gaviglio pitches against Nationals righty Tanner Roark.