Rays 3B Matt Duffy drove in the game-winning run in the bottom of the 9th as the Rays Beat the Blue Jays 1-0 to complete the series sweep.
- Wilmer Font pitching line: 3.1IP 2H 0R 3BB 1K 66 pitches (59 for strikes)
- JA Happ pitching line: 5IP 1H 0R 3BB 4K 98 pitches (64 for strikes)
- The Rays scored the winning and only run of the ball game in the bottom of the ninth as Matt Duffy singled home Mallex Smith.
- Final score: Rays 1 Blue Jays 0
- JA Happ did everything he could through 5 innings, allowing just the one hit, three walks and an error. The pesky Rays drove up his pitch count by fouling off pitches. At one point Happ had 16 strikes and 4 balls, so the issue was definitely not his command. If anything, maybe Happ didn't have that put-away pitch today that would have enabled him to be more efficient and pitch an extra inning or two.
- The offense is back in a slump. After such a promising four game series against the Orioles, the Blue Jays bats could do nothing. The Blue Jays were 0-5 with runners in scoring position today. In fact, the offense was basically Curtis Granderson, who actually went 3-4 at the plate today. Teoscar Hernandez got on base twice, drawing a walk and hitting a single. The Blue Jays got a single runner to 3rd base and their best chance to score was likely the first inning when they had runners on 2nd and 3rd but Kevin Pillar popped out to end the game.
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays get to face Bryce Harper and the Washington Nationals, who are tied for 1st place in the NL East heading into action today. Aaron Sanchez will pitch against an unknown Nationals starter. Stephen Strasburg was scheduled to start this game but he is on the DL with shoulder inflammation.