Rays catcher Wilson Ramos hit a key 2 run HR and called a great game behind the plate as the Rays defeated the Blue Jays 4-1. Toronto looks to avoid being swept tomorrow afternoon
- Ryne Stanek pitching line: 2IP 0H 0R 0BB 3K 27 pitches (19 for strikes)
- The Rays took the lead in the bottom of the 3rd as Wilson Ramos hit a 2 run HR also scoring Matt Duffy
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 5th as Randal Grichuk scored on a Devon Travis ground out
- Jaime Garcia pitching line: 5IP 4H 4R (all earned) 4BB 4K 93 pitches (55 for strikes)
- The Rays added one more in the bottom of the 6th as Joey Wendle singled to score CJ Crom
- Two batters later Mallex Smith hit one back up the middle to plate Willy Adames
- Final score: Rays 3 Blue Jays 1
- Jaime Garcia battled to get through 5 innings plus 2 batters as he gave up 4 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks. Garcis has had an up and down season where he has one good start and one not so good start. If the trend continues, he should have a good start against Atlanta. Today, command was an issue, which drove up his pitch count. I think Gibbons should have pulled him at the end of the 5TH. He was over 90 pitches at that point and it is better to end the night on a positive instead of trying to be in line for a win..
- The bats have quieted after the stellar weekend against Baltimore. The Blue Jays could only muster five hits and they went down in order in 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th and 8th, The team was 1-3 with runners in scoring position and they scored their only run on a ground out.
- Why do the Blue Jays struggle so much at Tropicana Field? For one thing, Tropicana field is one of the hardest ball parks to defend in with the white roof and the cat walks to contend with. Also, as with tonight, Tampa Bay's strength has been their pitching. The Blue Jays only struck out 6 times today, but the Rays pitchers made their pitches and the Tampa Bay defense made some fine plays in the field.
- Up next, the Blue Jays look to avoid being swept twice in three series as ace JA Happ takes the mound against Rays righty Wilmer Font.