Nicholas Castellanos was 3-4 at the plate with a solo HR as the Tigers took the opener of the 3-game series 5-2 over the struggling Blue Jays
- The Tigers opened the scoring in the bottom of the second as JaCoby Jones tripled scoring Victor Martinez and James McCann
- The next batter, Leonys Martin grounded out, scoring Jones
- Three batters later, Jeimer Candelario singled to score Jose Iglesias
- Jaime Garcia pitching line: 1.2IP 7H 4R (all earned) 0BB 1K 44 pitches (28 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got on the board in the top of the 6th as Teoscar Hernandez tripled to score Aledmys Diaz
- Three batters later, Kendrys Morales hit a sac fly to score Hernandez
- Blaine Hardy pitching line: 6IP 3H 2R (both earned) 4BB 3K 88 pitches (50 for strikes)
- The Tigers added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Nicholas Castellanos homered to left-center
- Final score: Tigers 5 Blue Jays 2
- Key play in the top of the 2nd: Randal Grichuk was thrown out at 1st base on a bang-bang play after initially being called safe. The bases would have been loaded with 2 outs had the call on the field stood.
- Jaimie Garcia had an especially rough second inning. He allowed 4 runs on 7 hits in the second inning, including 4 of the first 5 batters he faced. This will force the Blue Jays to use their bullpen for 6+ innings.
- The Blue Jays used 3 of their 6 mound visits in the 2nd inning
- Key play in the top of the 7th: Aledmys Diaz hit a ball that bounced off the fence in left field but the umpires called it a ground rule double, saying (incorrectly) that a fan had touched the ball. It put runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs instead and the next batter, Hernandez flied out.
- The Blue Jays had their chances in this one, including leaving the bases loaded in the 8th but they could not cash in. By the way, the Blue Jays could only score in one inning today, the 6th, something that was a problem in May
- Either the pitchers have to reduce the # of runs they are allowing and/or the offence has to score more runs.
- Teoscar Hernandez had a good day at the plate with a 3-5 effort
- Up next, the Blue Jays look to even the series and snap the 4-game losing streak as JA Happ pitches against Tigers lefty Matthew Boyd. Kendrys Morales has a .750 batting average in 12AB against Boyd. Kevin Pillar has also hit well vs. Boyd (.429 in 7AB). Curtis Granderson is 1-3 against Boyd. Maybe one of those three can kickstart the offence tomorrow.