Hunter Renfroe cranked a three-run HR in the top of the 8th as the Padres doubled up on the Blue Jays 6-3
- The Padres opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Austin Hedges whacked a solo shot to left
- Four batters later, Eric Hosmer singled home Franmil Reyes
- The Padres added a run in the top of the 5th as Greg Garcia hammered one off the basing of the second deck
- The Blue Jays got two back in the bottom half of the inning as Freddy Galvis sent one over the wall in left-center; also scoring Randal Grichuk
- A batter later, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. knocked one over the wall in right-center
- Trent Thornton pitching line: 6IP 4H 3R (all earned) 3BB 10K 112 pitches (62 for strikes)
- Joey Lucchesi pitching line: 6.2IP 3H 3R (all earned) 1BB 11K 95 pitches (66 for strikes)
- The Padres added a trio of runs in the top of the 8th as Hunter Renfroe smashed a three-run blast into the Blue Jays bullpen also scoring Manny Machado and Hosmer
- Craig Stanmen pitched a scoreless 9th for his 2nd save of the season
- Final score: Padres 6 Blue Jays 3
- Trent Thornton pitched a strong game, setting a new career high with 10 strikeouts. He also allowed three runs on 4 hits and a trio of walks. This is the third straight game pitching into the 6th inning. He has really come into his own after a few rough starts to start his career.
- Cavan Biggio was 0-3 with a pair of strikeouts (mind you everyone struck out at least once). Like Vlad did, Cavan probably needs a few games yo adjust to this level of pitching.
- This was one of the poorer displays of plate discipline the team has displayed in a while. Players appeared to be anxious to hit and were swinging at bad pitches. Padres starter Joey Lucchesi was tossing a perfect game until Randal Grichuk took a 4 pitch walk. The next batter, Freddy Galvis ended the no-hit and shutout bid on one swing. And the batter after that, Lourdes Gurriel Jr. took away the W.
- The Blue Jays had exactly 2 base runners after the 5th inning (a 2 out single by Freddy Galvis in the 7th and Justin Smoak was hit by a pitch in the 9th)
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to even the three game series with Edwin Jackson getting his second start as a Blue Jay. The Padres will counter with righty Cal Quantrill, son of ex-Blue Jays reliever Paul Quantrill.