Friday, May 17, 2019 | 8:10 pm ET
Guaranteed Rate Field | Chicago, IL
Aaron Sanchez (3-4, 3.75, 1.50) vs. Ivan Nova (2-3, 6.29, 1.65)
The Blue Jays look to bounce back after accumulating only two hits in a game that got away from them in the eighth inning. This is the second game of a four-game series against the White Sox.
Aaron Sanchez takes the ball for the Jays as he looks to turn in a better performance than his most recent outing, also against the White Sox, last week. Ivan Nova faces the Jays again after turning in his best performance of the young season (but, of course).
In addition to yesterday's news that was already posted about Teoscar Hernandez being optioned to Buffalo, Socrates Brito has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Buffalo. Sure, why not? Depth on the farm is never a bad thing, and maybe the lightbulb will click on one of these days.
Want to hear something insane? Josh Hader just had a stretch where he had 26 strikeouts in a span of 28 outs (9 and a third innings over 8 appearances). Of course, he did also give up four home runs in that stretch.
BLUE JAYS HISTORY:
Today's one-time Blue Jay of the Day is ... Cliff Johnson!
Years as a Jay: 1983 - 1986
Numbers as a Jay: .273/.372/.466 with 54 HR and 202 RBI in 1376 plate appearancs
Nickname: Heathcliff (not his real name as many thought)
- Served primarly as a DH while with the Jays with 12 games played at first base, and was a top-notch pinch-hitter off the bench, too.
- Drafted by the Astros in the 5th round in 1966 and started in the major leagues with them.
- Also spent time with the Yankees, Indians, Cubs and A's before coming to the Jays in 1983.
- I'll never forget the HR he crushed into the deep fog at Exhibition Stadium -- no-one could find the ball for a while.
- Huge fan favourite in Toronto.
- Held the record for most pinch-hit HRs with 20 before being surpassed by Matt Stairs.
- Once got into a locker-room brawl with Goose Gossage which resulted in Gossage being put on the disabled list for 2 months and shortly thereafter, Heathcliff was traded to Cleveland.
- Brother-in-law of Mike Easler.
Trivia: Which is the only team that the Blue Jays lost to in the post-season that did not go on to win the World Series?
**NOTE: There's been a late-breaking lineup change for the Jays: Danny Jansen is playing instead of Luke Maile and will bat 9th.
This is your "hope we get more than 2 hits tonight" game threat.