Wei-Yin Chen threw 8 strong innings as the Marlins doubled up on the Blue Jays 6-3
- The Marlins opened the scoring in the bottom of the 4th as JT Riddle scored on a sac fly by Brian Anderson
- The Marlins added a run in the bottom of the 3rd as JT Realmoto hit a solo HR to straightaway center
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 4th as Devon Travis scored on a sac fly by Randal Grichuk
- The Marlins added a run in the bottom of the 5th as Wei-Yin Chen was forced in on a bases loaded walk
- A batter later, Martin Prado doubled scoring Realmoto, Anderson and Riddle
- Marco Estrada pitching line: 4.1IP 8H 6R (all earned) 3BB 1K 93 pitches (57 for strikes)
- Wei-Yin Chen pitching line 8IP 3H 1R (earned) 0BB 7K 107 pitches (74 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got a pair back in the top of the ninth as Justin Smoak smoked a ball into the upper deck in right also scoring Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- Final score: Marlins 6 Blue Jays 3
- Marco Estrada had another rough outing today, allowing 6 runs on 8 hits while walking 3 in 4.1 innings. He needed 25 pitches to get the first out of the game. He is clearly ailing physically with a bad back. You have to wonder how many more starts Estrada will get before he is shut down for the season. If the training staff has learned anything this year, they will recommend shutting Marco down soon before he worsens the injury.
- The offence for the first 7 innings was Devon Travis, who had the only 2 hits off starter Wei-Yin Chen the first 7 innings before Teoscar Hernandez lined a single to right in the 8th.
- After hitting a grand slam in the 9th to win the game last night, Justin Smoak crushed a 2 run shot in the 9th tonight to get the Blue Jays within three. Will he launch a solo shot in the 9th tomorrow?
- A pair of major league debuts took place for the Blue Jays tonight. Taylor Guerrrieri threw 2 innings, giving up one hit and striking out one. He looked good today, but he needs to be careful of his delivery because he came awful close to balking. He is also fairly slow to the plate so he may be easy to run on. Lefty Jose Fernandez pitched a scoreless 8th getting the Marlins in order with a nice efficient 10 pitches.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for the series win in the rubber match as Sean Reid-Foley will be looking for his first MLB win after 2 difficult starts in August. He will be up against Marlins righty Jeff Brigham, who will be making his MLB debut.