Rowdy Tellez hit a go-ahead 2-Run HR in the 5th as the Blue Jays came from behind to defeat the Red Sox 4-3
Tonight, the Red Sox sent Nathan Eovaldi to the mound against TJ Zeuch, who was making his first MLB start and second career appearance. The infield of the future was playing today with Vlad at 3B, Bo Bichette playingg SS, Cavan Biggio at 2B amd Rowdy Tellez at 1B. Reese McGuire got the start behind the plate to give Zeuch a familiar battery mate in his first MLB start. Justin Smoak served as the DH tonight and the outfield consisted of Jonathan Davis between Derek Fisher and Randal Grichuk. Could the Blue Jays snap the seven game losing streak and get their first win in September? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Red Sox opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Mookie Betts led off the game slamming a solo bomb off the left foul pole on the first pitch of the game
- The Blue Jays tied things up in the bottom of the 3rd as Cavan Biggio hammered a solo Blast to right
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 4th as Reese McGuire smacked a solo shot to right-center
- The Red Sox tied the game in the top of the 6th as JD Martinez doubled home Rafael Devers
- Two batters later, Andrew Benintendi singled scoring Martinez
- TJ Zeuch pitching line: 4.1IP 6H 3R (all earned) 3BB 1K 81 pitches (46 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the bottom of the 5th as Rowdy Tellez smashed a 2-run blast to right-center also scoring Biggio
- Nathan Eovaldi pitching line: 4.1IP 6H 3R (all earned) 2BB 6K 93 pitches (69 for strikes)
- Ken Giles pitched a scoreless 9th for his 19th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 4 Red Sox 3
- TJ Zeuch's first pitch of his first career start was off the foul pole for a quick 1-0 lead for the Red Sox. He threw 4.1 innings allowing 2 more runs on 5 hits while walking 3 and striking out 1. The Red Sox weren't fooled by Zeuch's arsenal, hence the low strikeout total. He'll need to work on his command a bit, but not a bad effort for his first career start.
- The kids got it done at the plate today with Rowdy Tellez, Cavan Biggo and Reese McGuire all going deep. Biggio also drew a pair of walks and scored on Tellez's HR. McGuire was 2-3 and added a walk. He did a terrific job behind the plate with pitch selection. He needs to communicate a bit better with Giles as he almost hit the Blue Jays closer with a snap throw to 2nd. Two base runners stole bases off McGuire, but the 2nd one should have been an out as pinch runner Gorkys Hernandez knocked the ball out of Bo Bichette's glove
- It was great to see the team respond after a tough road trip. It was even sweeter to kick the Red Sox to the curb while they were down after being eliminated from the playoffs 24 hours prior
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for the series win, their first since taking 2 of 3 from Texas August 12-14. Trent Thornton pitches against Red Sox righty Jhoulys Chacin, who will serve as an opener.