Avisail Garcia was 3-4 with 2 runs scored and 3RBI in an 8-3 rout by the Rays over the Blue JaysAfter an impressive MLB debut by lefty Anthony Kay that unfortunately the bullpen blew in the late innings, the Blue Jays look to salvage this road trip and get their first win in the month of September. Jacob Waguespack got the start. Interesting lineup for today. After Bo Bichette in his customary leadoff spot, the Blue Jays went with Teoscar Hernandez bating second. Generally speaking, you want your number two hitter to be good at getting on base. Hernandez strikes out too much. Rowdy Tellez got the start at 1B. Vlad got the half day off, serving as the DH today (Brandon Drury was at the hot corner today.) Randal Grichuk got the start in RF and Jonathan Davis was rewarded for a 2-4 effort yesterday with the start in LF. Danny Jansen was back behind the plate with the quick turn around between games. Finally, Richard Urena got a chance to play, starting at 2B. Could this mishmash lineup get the Blue Jays their first win in September? Here is today's game recap.
- The Rays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st on a solo blast to right-center by Austin Meadows
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 2nd as Randal Grichuk hit a 2-run bomb to dead center also scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- The Rays retook the lead in the bottom half of the inning as Daniel Robertson tripled home Kevin Kiermaier and Willy Adames
- Tyler Glasnow pitching line: 2IP 1H 2R (both earned) 2BB 5K 41 pitches (25 for strikes)
- The Rays added a run in the bottom of the 5th on a ground rule double by Avisail Garcia that scored Joey Wendle
- A batter later, Meadows scored on a sac fly by Ji-Man Choi
- A batter later, Travis d'Arnaud doubled home Garcia
- Jacob Waguespack pitching line: 4.1IP 7H 6R (all earned) 2BB 2K 72 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Rays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 7th as Garcia hammered a 2-run bomb to dead center also scoring Meadows
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 9th as Guerrero Jr. singled home Rowdy Tellez
- Final score: Rays 8 Blue Jays 3
- It was a rough outing by Jacob Waguespack, who was lit up for 6 runs on 7 hits while walking 2 and striking out 2. It's tough to win many games giving up 6 runs. Waguespack has generally been the best Blue Jays starter since Stroman and Sanchez were traded at the deadline. However, that's a low bar that he's setting for the rest of the pitching staff.
- Offensively, things were pretty bleak, other than a 2-run HR by Grichuk to very briefly give the Blue Jays the lead, and a trio of hits in the 9th off the Rays weakest lefty, Anthony Banda, a whole lot of outs in between. Vlad (a single and a walk) and Brandon Drury (a single and a walk) were the only ones to get one base more than once . Bo Bichette, Rowdy Tellez, Randal Grichuk (2 run HR) and Jonathan Davis had the other 4 hits the Blue Jays managed to get today.
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays open up a week long homestand against the Red Sox. Righty TJ Zeuch will get the start (his first career start, second appearance) against Red Sox righty Nathan Eovaldi, who is almost built back up to a starters load after an extended period on the IL