Chris Sale threw 6 shutout innings of 2-hit ball as the Red Sox shutout the Blue Jays 5-0
- The Red Sox opened the scoring in the bottom of the 5th as Sandy Leon singled home Sam Travis
- Two batters later, Rafael Devers slammed a three-run bomb to right-center and into the Red Sox bullpen also scoring Leon AND Mookie Betts
- Thomas Pannone pitching line: 4.1IP 5H 4R (all earned) 2BB 3K 65 pitches (49 for strikes)
- Chris Sale pitching line: 6IP 2H 0R 2BB 12K 101 pitches (67 for strikes)
- The Red Sox added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Betts bashed a solo blast to dead center
- Final score: Red Sox 5 Blue Jays 0
- It was a pitcher's duel through the 1st 4 innings with both pitchers putting up 0's on the scoreboard. Chris Sale had 11 strikeouts through 5 innings. He would add one more in the 6th to finish with 12 strikeouts. Thomas Pannone gave up two singles and a walk through 4 and threw an economical 49 pitches. He ran into some trouble in the 5th and gave up 4 runs on 3 hits and a walk. There's something about the 5th inning with Blue Jays starters this season. They are routinely knocked around, especially those making spot starts. Is it the opponents adjusting the second or third time around? Is it the starters tiring? Or a combination of the two
- Not much in the way of offence today. The only base runner after the 5th inning was Danny Jansen, who was hit by a pitch leading off the 7th inning. Brandon Drury and Justin Smoak were the only two Blue Jays to get hits off Chris Sale. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Cavan Biggio each drew a walk off Sale. The 5th inning was the only inning where the Blue Jays had multiple base runners on base.
- Up next, the Blue Jays head to Detroit to take on a Tigers team that they split a four game series with in the season opening series way back in March. Friday's pitching matchup features two pitchers likely to be dealt in the next 2 weeks. Marcus Stroman has been linked to the Yankees and Twins. He'll likely get one to two starts after tomorrow, depending on how imminent a trade is in ten days. Matthew Boyd, like Stroman, has a year of control left and that is likely to be attractive.