Ronald Guzman was 2-4 at the plate, including a 2-run single in the 6th that proved to be the difference in the game as the Rangers took the series opener 6-4 over the Blue Jays
- The Rangers opened the scoring on a 2 run single by Nomar Mazara that scored Delino DeShields and Shin-Soo Choo
- The next batter Joey Gallo smacked a 2 run shot to left-center bringing home Mazara
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Justin Smoak singled home Teoscar Hernandez
- Toronto got within one run in the bottom of the 2nd as Steve Pearce doubled home Russell Martin and Aledmys Diaz
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 3rd on a Kevin Pillar triple that scored Yangervis Solarte
- The Rangers took their second lead of the game in the top of the 6th as Ronald Guzman singled scoring Gallo and Mazara
- Marcus Stroman pitching line: 5.1IP 8H 6R (all earned) 1BB 4K 91 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Mike Minor pitching line: 6IP 9H 4R (all earned) 0BB 4K 94 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Final score: Rangers 6 Blue Jays 4
- Quirky moment in the top of the 3rd, Marcus Stroman lost a shoe running to cover the bag. The umpire said something to Stroman following the inning, presumably to tie his laces.
- Stroman had a difficult start to the game. He gave up 4 runs on 3 hits and a walk with just one out. He did settle down and strike out 4 batters in a row.. However, Stroman needs to be better. This was not the Rangers best lineup.
- Justin Smoak had a great day at the plate going 4-4. However, he made 2 costly base running mistakes (getting thrown out at home to end the first inning and getting thrown out trying to get from first to third on a short single in the third). He narrowly missed getting thrown out at second on a double, but luckily for him the throw was a bit offline.
- I also noticed that the Texas Rangers had 2 successful sac bunts in the game. The Blue Jays have yet to even attempt a sac bunt. While the Rangers didn't score in either inning the play was used, it did put a runner in scoring position.
- The Rangers won this one despite sloppy defense by the infield. They now have a major league-leading 17 errors committed by their infielders alone.
- Up next, the series continues with Bartolo "Big Sexy" Colon on the hill against Jays lefty Jaimie Garcia