Jonathan Schoop was 2-4 at the plate with 2 RBI and a run scored as the Orioles defeated the Blue Jays 5-3 to avoid the series sweep.
- Kevin Pillar opened the scoring in the 1st with a single to center scoring Justin Smoak
- Jonathan Schoop tied the game in the bottom of the 4th with a double to score Manny Machado
- Three batters later Chris Davis singled to right scoring Schoop
- The next batter Tim Beckham hit a sac fly to plate Pedro Alvarez
- In the top of the 5th Yangervis Solarte singled to score Luke Maille
- Schoop singed home Chance Sisco to double the Orioles lead
- Marco Estrada pitching line: 4IP 6H 4R (all earned) 3BB 5K 87 pitches (53 for strikes)
- Aledmys Diaz cracked a homer to left to cut the lead to one in the top of the 6th
- Sisco scored in the bottom half of the inning, singling to center scoring Beckham
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 6IP 6H 3R (all earned) 3BB 7K 106 pitches (68 for strikes)
- Brad Brach pitched a scoreless 9th to pick up his 3rd save of the season
- Final score: Orioles 5 Blue Jays 3
- There was a very key moment in the bottom of the 5th. Manny Machado hit a flyball to right that was slicing foul. Randal Grichuk dove for the ball and deflected it foul. The original call was that Grichuk made contact in foul territory. The Orioles challenged and the call was overturned and the two base runners on first and second were allowed to advance 2 bases edoubleach and Machado was awarded a single. Had the original call stood, Estrada had the chance to get an out. Instead the bases were loaded, Schoop singled home a run a batter later and Estrada was out of the game.
- Through the first 3 innings, it looked like Marco Estrada was going to replicate what Aaron Sanchez did last night. Estrada had a no-hitter through three innings. In the 4th inning, the Orioles got to him with a pair of doubles, a single and a walk. Estrada was forced to throw 30 pitches in the inning. The Orioles appeared to be looking for his change-up and were not missing on it today.
- Baltimore did a good job in limiting the damage of the Blue Jays offence. Gift Ngoepe (who has just one hit this season), Randal Grichuk (0-4 tonight and .077 and is tied with Ngoepe with a team worst batting average) and Devon Travis, who flied out as a pinch hitter are really struggling at the plate this season. These three need to get it going at some point. Luke Maille is playing really well this season. He was 2-3 at the plate tonight and is batting .400 on the season.
- The difference tonight was the Orioles offence got to Estrada and the Orioles pitching shut down the Blue Jays bats
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays open a three game series against Cleveland. Game 1 sees Marcus Stroman facing Steve Clevinger. Edwin Encarnacion is batting .146 with 3 HR this season. The Indians are 7-5 through 12 games