Teoscar Hernandez was 4-6 today with 4 RBI's and 2 runs scored as the Blue Jays routed the Royals 15-5 to complete the series sweep
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring as Justin Smoak doubled to right scoring Teoscar Hernandez
- The Royals took the lead in the top of the 3rd as Mike Moustakas doubled to left, scoring Alcedis Escobar and Whit Merrifield
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the bottom half of the inning as Hernandez crushed a 2 run blast to center, also scoring Curtis Granderson
- Two batters later, Yangervis Solarte crushed a solo HR to right to double the lead
- The Royals tied it in the top of the 5th as Meriifield hit a 2 run HR to left, also scoring Jon Jay
- Randal Grichuk got the lead back with a line drive to left that was dropped by Royals LF Paulo Orlando that scored Solarte
- Two batters later PH Luke Maile singled home Kevin Pilla
- Adam Kennedy pitching line: 5IP 8H 6R (all earned) 3BB 6K 106 pitches (62 for strikes)
- JA Happ pitching line: 6IP 5H 4R (all earned) 2BB 8K 99 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Grichuk scored on a wild pitch with 2 outs in the 7th
- The next batter, Hernandez tripled scoring Maile and Granderson
- The Royals got one back in the top of the 8th as Jorge Soler hit a solo HR to center
- Pillar doubled in the bottom half of the inning, scoring Solarte
- Two batters later, Aledmys Diaz singled, scoring Martin
- Granderson then stepped up hitting a grand slam, scoring Pillar, Diaz and Maile
- Final score: Blue Jays 15 Royals 5
- Today was the first of two Facebook only games. I still think having the game broadcast on Facebook should have just been optional as not every fan has a computer and/or uses Facebook. I am on Facebook so I can give my take on the experience. The stream was very smooth. I stream on reddit.com and it buffers a fair amount. One thing that could have been done differently is they could have included the player's position when displaying who was batting. I liked the in-game interviews with both managers and Danny Duffy and Aaron Sanchez. If you opted to have the comments running on the side, it distracted from watching the game. Overall, I liked the Facebook game and can see the league continuing it in future seasons.
- The Blue Jays will have a big roster decision to make come Friday as Kendrys Morales is scheduled to come off the DL. Call-up Teoscar Hernandez has been excellent going 8-18 with 4 doubles and a HR. He also made a nice catch at the end of the game today. Gift Ngoepe is definitely an option to be sent down. He struck out looking twice today and has just one hit this season. The Blue Jays could also send down a pitcher and go with a 7 man bullpen. Either way, there is no chance Hernandez is going anywhere.
- Starter JA Happ battled through 6 innings today. Happ had two 1-2-3 innings, in the 1st and the 6th. He was pitching with a few extra days rest after the three cancelled games. He should have started on Sunday.
- The Blue Jays had more late inning heroics, putting up 9 runs combined in the 7th and 8th innings. This speaks to the depth the Jays signed/acquired in the off-season.
- Luke Maile definitely deserves more playing time. Look for him to start tomorrow as the Blue Jays need his hot bat in the lineup.
- Up next, the Blue Jays travel to NY where they will face the Yankees. The two teams split the opening series in Toronto. Aaron Sanchez, will be up against CC Sabathia, who is coming off the DL after leaving his last start with a hip injury.