Making his major league debut, Blue Jays prospect Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was 2-5 with 3RBI as the Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Yankees 8-5 to even the series at 1.
- Tyler Austin opened the scoring for the Yankees with a 2 run HR to right, also scoring Aaron Hicks
- The Jays tied it in the bottom half of the inning as Teoscar Hernandez continues to swing a hot bat, smacking a 2 run shot to left-center, also scoring Curtis Granderson
- Giancarlo Stanton gave the Yankees their 2 run lead back in the bottom of the 3rd with an opposite field shot that scored Didi Gregorius
- The Jays got one back in the top of the 4th on a ground rule double by Kendrys Morales scoring Russell Martin
- Newcomer Lourdes Gurriel Jr. gave the Jays the lead with a 2 run single the plated Morales and Kevin Pillar for his first career base hit and first 2 career RBI's
- Sonny Gray pitching line: 3.1IP 5H 5R (all earned) 4BB 0K 73 pitches (39 for strikes)
- The Yankees tied it in the bottom half of the innings as Miguel Andujar went yard for a solo HR; the 4th ball to leave the yard tonight; 5th if you count the Morales ground rule double
- Gurriel Jr. singled to right in the top of the 5th scoring Martin to give the Jays their second lead of the game
- Hernandez picked up his 3rd RBI of the night with a bases loaded walk that forced in Morales
- Yangervis Solarte hit a solo HR to extend the lead to 3
- Marco Estrada pitching line: 5IP 5R (all earned) 1BB 4K 98 pitches (65 for strikes)
- Roberto Osuna notched his 6th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 8 Yankees 5
- Quirky stat of the night: the Blue Jays drew 9 walks tonight but only scored 2 runs off those walks. Nevertheless, those were important walks because they ran the pitch count up on Sonny Gray and Domingo Germane, who were responsible for 8 of the 9 walks on the night. The Yankees bullpen has now had two games in a row where they've had to pitch most of the game. Also, unlike the Blue Jays 'pen, the Yankees relievers have been hit hard by Blue Jay batters
- Starter Marco Estrada got stronger as the game went on. He threw 70 pitches the first three innings with a lot of deep counts. His final inning of work, he got the Yankees in order. Estrada was either affected by the cold weather or having problems with the back that gave him issues last start. Not Estrada's best night.
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. had a nice major league debut with a a couple of hits in 5AB and 3RBI. He certainly looks like an upgrade over Gift Ngoepe, who was sent down to AAA earlier today.
- Kendrys Morales had a good night at the plate as well coming off the DL. He worked the count in most of his AB's and had a pair of hits and runs scored on the night.
- Up next, the Blue Jays and Yankees continue the 4 game series with a matinee featuring righty Marcus Stroman taking on Southpaw Jordan Montgomery