After a successful road trip that saw the Blue Jays win 5 of 6, including their first series sweep of the season against a tough Angels squad, the Blue Jays opened the week and home stand with a trio of games against the Chicago White Sox. Last season, the White Sox won 4 of 7 games in the season series and outscored the Blue Jays 30-23. Ryan Borucki was DFA'd after a couple of rough outings. Trent Thornton was recalled in his place. Kevin Gausman got the start tonight with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field at 1B after a complete day off yesterday. Teo was also back in RF after having Sunday off. Cavan Biggio was at 2B. Alejandro Kirk served as DH. Could the Blue Jays make it six straight wins? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The White Sox opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Andrew Vaughn hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 2nd as Alejandro Kirk whacked a 2-run blast just over the fence in left; also scoring Teoscar Hernandez
- The White Sox retook the lead in the top of the 5th as Danny Mendick singled scoring Reese McGuire
- Two batters later, Vaughn singled home Mendick
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom half of the inning as Hernandez singled scoting Bo Bichette and George Springer
- A batter later, Kirk smashed a 2-run blast to dead center; also soring Hernandez
- Lucas Giolito pitching line: 4.2IP 8H 6R (all earned) 2BB 8K 99 pitches (59 for strikes)
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 5IP 6H 3R (all earned) 1BB 5K 98 pitches (67 for strikes)
- The White Sox got one back in the top of the 6th as McGuire doubled scoring Gavin Sheets
- Two batters later, Adam Engel scored on a fielder's choice hit by Mendick
- Jordan Romano threw a scoreless 9th for his 16th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 White Sox 5
- Kevin Gausman threw 5 solid innings, giving up 3 runs on 6 hits while walking 1 and striking out 5. He retired 7 in a row at one point.
- Cavan Biggio made a huge play to end the 6th inning. The White Sox had already plated 2 runs and had runners on the corner bases with 1 out Yasmani Grandal hit a fly ball that was caught by Biggio. Engel was going to score the tying run. However, Biggio gunned a bullet to 2nd base to nail Mendick at 2nd base before Engel could cross the plate. Had Biggio hesitated for a second, the tying run would have scored and who know what the outcome would have been.
- The bullpen bent but didn't break, giving up a pair of runs on 7 hits while walking 2 and striking out 4 over the final 4 innings. Trevor Richards was responsible for the 2 runs. He did not record an out and faced 4 batters. Julian Merryweather and Jordan Romano both gave up a pair of hits in their inning of work. Ryan Borucki's DFA means the Blue Jays have just one lefty in the bullpen. Tim Mayza and Taylor Saucedo are both making progress to returning from the IL. Both are scheduled to throw bullpens the next couple of days.
- Offensively, Alejandro Kirk drove in over half the runs with a pair of home runs. Teo drove in the other 2 runs and also scored on both of Kirk's home runs
- Every Blue Jays starter except Vladimir Guerrero Jr. reached base at least once
- The Blue Jays were 3-10 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays try for 6 straight wins and their 10th series win of the season. Hyun-Jin Ryu starts against White Sox righty Michael Kopech