After a solid shutout win on the strength of a fine pitching performance from Jose Berrios, David Phelps and Adam Cimber and a bases clearing triple from George Springer, the Blue Jays were looking for their first series sweep of the season. Kevin Gausman got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Teo was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Alejandro Kirk served as DH tonight. Could the Blue Jays make it 3 straight wins and the first series sweep of the season? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Mariners opened the scoring in the top of the 1st on a sac fly by Jesse Winker that scored Adam Frazier
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 3rd on a bases loaded walk to Vladimir Guerrero Jr. that forced in Matt Chapman
- The Mariners retook the lead in the top of the 5th as Cal Raleigh bashed an opposite field solo blast to left-center
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 5IP 7H 2R (both earned) 1BB 3K 85 pitches (59 for strikes)
- Marco Gonzales pitching line: 6IP 5H 1R (earned) 3BB 2K
- The Mariners added a pair of runs in the top of the 7th as Ty France drilled a 2-run bomb to dead center, also scoring Frazier
- The Mariners added a run in the top of the 9th as Abraham Toro whacked a solo blast down the right field line
- Final score: Mariners 5 Blue Jays 1
- Kevin Gausman battled through 5 innings, giving up a pair of runs on 5 hits while walking 1 and striking out 3. Gausman gave up his first long ball of the year in the 5th inning. The Mariners loaded the bases on three straight singles before Gausman recorded an out.
- The bullpen gave up a pair of costly HR for three back-breaking insurance runs that put the game out of reach. Ross Stripling has struggled since returning to the bullpen after Hyun-Jin Ryu came off the IL. It is a completely different mentality starting vs. coming in as a relief pitcher. There is generally more room for error when you are starting; whereas as a reliever you are trying to either keep the game tied, your team in the lead or the game close.
- Offensively, the Blue Jays were only able to etch across one run on a bases loaded walk. The Blue Jays were 0-4 with runners in scoring position
- Every Blue Jays starter except Lourdes Gurriel Jr. and Danny Jansen reached base at least once.
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays begin a 3- game set against the bottom feeder Cincinnati Reds. It could be Canadian Joey Votto's final trip to Toronto. Votto has a career average of .250 against the Blue Jays with 3HR and 8RBI. Hyun-Jin Ryu starts against Reds righty Luis Castilla in Friday's opening game.