After etching out a win yesterday on the backs of just enough offence and some solid pitching - a theme for 2022, the Blue Jays were looking to make it two straight wins. Alek Manoah got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Lourdes GurrielJr. taking his place at 1B, who was back in the lineup after a complete day off yesterday. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins? Here is today's game recap.
- The Reds opened the scoring in the top of the 4th as Joey Votto doubled scoring Tyler Naquin
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom half of the inning as Bo Bichette drilled a solo bomb to the second deck in left
- Hunter Greene pitching line: 6IP 4H 1R (earned) 2BB 6K 84 pitches (52 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 7th as Bichette hammered a 2-run bomb to the 2nd deck in left
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 8IP 7H 1R (earned) 0BB 4K 83 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Jordan Romano struck out the side and threw a perfect 9th for his 14th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 3 Reds 1
- Alek Manoah was solid throwing 8 dominant innings, allowing one run on seven hits while walking none and striking out seven. He retired 8 of the first 9 batters he faced. Alejandro Kirk took care of that base runner, gunning down Alejo Lopez at 2nd base. Manoah retired the last 6 batters he faced and honestly should have been given the opportunity to complete the game with just 83 pitches thrown and Jordan Romano still recovering from a gastrointestinal infection.
- Romano did strike out the side though for his 14th save.
- Offensively it was the Bo Bichette show. The Blue Jays 2nd baseman drove in all three runs on a pair of mammoth home runs to the second deck in left- almst the same spot
- Every Blue Jays starter except Vlad reached base at least once
- Up next, the Blue Jays try for their first series sweep and 3rd straight win. Yusei Kikuchi gets the start against Reds righty Connor Overton