After a huge come from behind win thanks to another stellar performance from Robbie Ray, a couple of blasts off the bat of Vlad and clutch hits from Toe and Bo. The win was huge because every team the Blue Jays are chasing in the WC race either lost or were idle (A's were off). The Blue Jays still need help from other teams and do not control their own destiny. Brad Hand was DFA'd. Danny Jansen returned from the IL. Trent Thornton was optioned to AAA. Ace Hyun-Jin Ryu got the start with Jansen behind the plate. George Springer was DH again with Randal Grichuk in CF, Lourdes in LF and Teo in RF. Kevin Smith continued his run at the hot corner. Could the Blue Jays make it four straight wins and end August with a win? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 3rd as Danny Jansen drilled a solo bomb to the second deck in left-center
- The Orioles tied the game in the top of the 6th as Austin Hays singled scoring Ryan Mountcastle
- Two batters later, Ramon Urias doubled scoring Hays and Anthony Santander
- Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching line: 5.2IP 3H 3R (all earned) 3BB 6K 95 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Keegan Akin pitching line: 5IP 2H 1R (earned) 3BB 5K 85 pitches (53 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. cranked an opposite-field solo blast to right-center
- The Orioles added a run in the top of the 7th as Jahmal Jones singled scoring Jorge Mateo
- Cole Sulser pitched a perfect 9th for his 6th save of the season
- Final score: Orioles 4 Blue Jays 2
- Hyun-Jin Ryu had a rocky start to the game, walking 2 batters in the 1st inning. He had a rocky 6th inning, allowing 3 runs on 3 hits and a walk. In between, he was rock solid, retiring 15 in a row. He just seems to have more comfort pitching to Danny Jansen. Hopefully he gets on a roll now that the veteran catcher is healed from his hamstring strain. It will be interesting to see how the three catchers (Jansen, Alejandro Kirk and Reese McGuire) are utilized down the stretch.
- One injured player back (DanJan) another back on the shelf (who else but George Springer). Springer injured either his knee or hamstring slamming on the brakes going aroun 2nd base. At this point, the best thing to do might just to be to call it a season and let Springer heal for 2022 (whenever it starts with an expected labour dispute). At least Jansen looked good with a 1-1 effort at the plate and drawing a walk. The Orioles stole a base off him though).
- Adam Cimber allowed an unearned run after a throwing error by him trying to pick off Jorge Mateo. Jahmal Jones singled him home. Trevor Richards pitched a clean 2 innings, striking out a batter
- The offense still can't drive in a base runner if its life depended on it. Vlad and Dan Jan both hit solo shots. The Blue Jays were 0-6 with runners in scoring position and left 8 men on base overall
- In term of the wild card race, The A's won, the Red Sox lost and the Yankees/Angels and Astros/Mariners were both scoreless. Go Astros and Angels.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to start September with a win. Steven Matz gets the start against Orioles righty Matt Harvey