After a game lost thanks to a bad 1st inning by Jose Berros that the Blue Jays never recovered from, they were looking to take the lead in the series and keep pace in a wild card race where the top four (Boston, NY Yankees, Oakland A's and Seattle) are quickly separating themselves from the pack. Cavan Biggion was diagnosed with a grade 1 UCL strain and is listed as week to week. George Springer is making good progress and may posaibly return on the road trip that begins Friday. Joakim Soria returned from the IL after mussing 10 days with inflammation in his middle finger. Connor Overton was optioned to AAA. Robbie Ray got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. at 1B and Corey Dickerson in LF. Randal Grichuk was back in CF after the day off yesterday. Santiago Espinal was at the hot corner. Could the Blue Jays take the series lead? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The White Sox opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Yoan Moncada singled home Leury Garcia
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 4th as Corey Dickerson tripled scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Lucas Giolito pitching line: 6IP 5H 1R (earned) 1BB 6K 93 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Robbie Ray pitching line: 7IP 5H 1R (earned) 1BB 14K 111 pitches (77 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 8th as Alejandro Kirk singled home Teoscar Hernandez
- Two batters later, Brevic Valera was forced home on a bases loaded walk to Randal Grichuk
- Jordan Romano pitched a scoreless 9th for his 13th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 3 White Sox 1
- If Pete Walker keepshis job at the end of the season, he can thank Robbie Ray. The stalwart Blue Jays lefty tied his career high with 14 strikeouts. The one run allowed was a run-scoring single after Leury Garcia stole 2 bases. At one point he retired nine in a row. He struck out the last 2 batters he faced swinging with runners on 1st and 2nd. Too bad he can't hit as well as Shohei Ohtani.
- The bullpen was excellent today. Both Tim Mayza and Jordan Romano retired the side in order, although Romano needed the assistance of a double play. Mayza struck out 2 in his inning of work.
- Corey Dickerson had the hot bat, going 2-3 with an RBI.
- It was nice to see the Blue Jays cash in with an 8th inning run for the 2nd time in 3 games. It's no secret the offence has gone ice cold at an inopportune time, but there are too many good hitters in this lineup to not have the potential to score at any moment
- The Blue Jays were 1-7 with runners in scoring position.
- In terms of the wild card race, The Yankees, A's and Mariners were all idle today and the Red Sox lost. The Blue Jays are now 4.5 games back of the Red Sox for the 2nd WC spot.
- Up next, the Blue Jays wrap up the series with the White Sox. Hyun-Jin Ryu gets the start against White Sox lefty Carlos Rodon