After a soid late inning win, the Blue Jays were looking to make it a 2-game win streak. Jose Berros got the start. Corey Dickerson got the half day off as DH with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. in LF. Josh Palacios got the start in CF as Randal Grichuk got the complete day off. Could the Blue Jays make it 2 wins in a row? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The White Sox opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Jose Abreu drilled a 3-run bomb to left-center; also scoring Luis Roberts and Yoan Moncada
- Pete Walker was ejected by Home plate umpire Mark Carlson for arguing balls and strikes
- Five batters later, Danny Mendick doubled scoring Brian Goodwin
- Jose Berros pitching line: 3IP 9H 4R (all earned) 0BB 6K 68 pitches (45 for strikes)
- The White Sox added a run in the top of the 4th on a ground out by Abreu that scored Robert
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 7th as Corey Dickerson whacked a solo blast to right
- Dylan Cease pitching line: 7IP 4H 1R (earned) 1BB 7K 95 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 9th as Lourdes Gurriel Jr. singled home Teoscar Hernandez
- Liam Hendricks got the last 5 outs for his 29th save of the season.
- Final score: White Sox 5 Blue Jays 2
- Jose Berros was lit up for 4 runs on 9 hits while walking none and striking out 6, He threw a ton of pitches in the 1st inning, and combined with quick innings by White Sox starter Dylan Cease meant that Berros was done after three innings.
- The bullpen bent and for the most part didn't break. Trent Thornton, Connor Overton and Brad Hand combined to allow 1 run, 7 hits while walking 2 batters while striking out 5. Once again, the offence did next to nothing.
- Through 3.2 innings, the Blue Jays were staring down the barrel of a perfext game against, until Vlad broke the bid with a two out single. Corey Dickerson broke the shutout bid with a solo shot and the Blue Jays got one in the 9th off the White Sox closer.
- The Blue Jays loaded the bases in the 8th, only to have Vad ground into yet another double play, AKA an MK special
- The Blue Jays were 2-9 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the WC race, the Yankees and Red Sox and Mariners all won. This means the Blue Jays are 5.5 games back of the Red Sox for the second wild card spot, 2.5 games of the Mariners, who are 3 games back of the 2nd WC spot and 3.5 baxk of the A's, who are 2 games back of the 2nd WC spot.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to take the lead in the series. Robbie Ray gets the start against White Sox righty Lucas Giolito.