After splitting yesterday's double header, the Blue Jays were looking to take the series lead against the Angels. Ross Stripling was placed on the 10-day IL with an oblique strain. Trent Thornton was recalled from AAA and righty Connor Overton had his contract purchased. Patrick Murphy was DFA'd. Alek Manoah got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Bo Bichette got the complete day off with Breyvic Valera at 2B and Marcus Semien at SS. Santiago Espinal was at the hot corner. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. at 1B and Corey Dickerson in LF. Randal Grichuk also got the complete day off with George Springer in CF and Teoscar Hernandez in RF. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Lourdes Gurriel Jr. whacked an opposite-field shot to left
- Three batters later, George Springer hammered a solo bomb to left-center
- The Angels tied it in the bottom half of the inning as Shohei Ohtani hammered a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Jo Adell
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the top of the 5th as Santiago Espinal singled home Gurriel Jr.
- Four batters later, Teoscar Hernandez drilled a grand slam to left; also scoring Santiago, Springer and Marcus Semien
- Dylan Bundy pitching line: 4IP 4H 3R (all earned) 0BB 2K 62 pitches (44 for strikes)
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 6.2IP 5H 2R (both earned) 2BB 11K 114 pitches (78 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 8th on a ground out by Alejandro Kirk that scored Hernandez
- A batter later, Gurriel Jr. singled home Corey Dickerson
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 9th as Springer smacked a solo blast to left
- Final score: Blue Jays 10 Angels 2
- Alek Manoah was excellent most of the night, except for one mistake pitch that was taken yard by Shohei Ohtani, who has very much looked like Babe Ruth this season. Manoah scatterred 3 other hits and walked two batters while striking out a career high 11 batters.
- The bullpen was perfect over the final 2.1 innings. Brad Hand got through his inning using just 6 pitches. Hopefully that starts a hot streak for the lefty reliever, who was expected to be another late-inning reliever, but has struggled to find that form.
- Offensively, all-star Teoscar Hernandez drilled a grand slam and later sccred in the 8th. George Springer continues to swing a hot stick with two more solo shots. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was 3-4 with 2 runs scored and 2 RBI
- One player who was not having fun was Vlad, who continues to struggle through a slump. He was 0-4 today, but drew a walk in his last AB.
- The Blue Jays were 3-7 with runners in scoring position.
- In terms of the wild card standings, the A's, Red Sox and Yankees all won, so the win merely meant keeping pace with the teams they are trying to pass in the standings. The Blue Jays (along with the Red Sox and Yankees) did gain a game on the Rays in the AL East thanks to the Red Sox pounding the Rays.
- Up next, the Blue Jays wrap up the series. With the season series knotted at 3, this will be the rubber match and bragging rights for next year. It will be a battle of the righties with Jose Berros pitching against
Babe Ruth, I mean Shohei Ohtani.