Danny Jansen hit a 3-run HR in a 5-2 victory over the Twins
After a solid win on the back of a gutsy Robbie Ray performance and three big swats, the Blue Jays wrapped up the road portion of their schedule in the Twin cities. Alek Manoah got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. George Springer got the half day off as DH with Randal Grichuk in CF, Teo in RF and Corey Dickerson in LF. Could the Blue Jays make it two in a row? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 2nd as Danny Jansen hammered a 3-run bomb to left-center; also scoring Santiago Espinal and Corey Dickerson
- The Twins got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Jake Cave singled scoring Mitch Garver
- The Blue Jays added a run in the rop of the 5th as George Spinger bashed a solo blast to left-center and into the Twins bullpen
- The Twins got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Byron Buxton drilled a solo bomb to left-center and into the Twins bullpen
- Griffin Jax pitching line: 5IP 6H 4H (all earned) 0BB 2K 83 pitches (61 for strikes)
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 5.2IP 6H 2R (both earned) 2BB 8K 102 pitches (64 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 8th as Toeoscar Hernandez doubled scoring Bo Bichette
- Jordan Romano got the last 3 outs for his 21st save of the season
- Final score: Bllue Jays 5 Twins 2
- Alek Manoah threw 5.2 solid innings, giving up 2 runs on 6 hits while walking 2 and striking out 8. He has pitched well enough that he'll likely be in a division series playoff rotation.
- The bullpen gave up 2 hits over the final 3.1 innings while striking out 7
- Offensively, the Blue Jays got help from unlikely sources. Danny Jansen bashed a 3-run shot and George Springer hit one out for the second game in a row.
- The Blue Jays were 2-6 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the WC race, The Mariners were winning and the A's were losing. For the moment the Blue Jays are 1.5 games back of the Yankees and Red Sox, who are tied for the 2 WC spots. The Blue Jays will be a game behind the 2nd WC spot at the end of the night and 2 back of the 1st WC spot (Yankees and Red Sox play each other). If the Mariners score stays the same, they will be 2.5 back of the Blue Jays and if the A's score stays the same, they will be 4.5 games back of the Blue Jays
- Up next, after an off-day tomorrow, the Blue Jays open a crucial 3-game series at home vs. the Yankees. Hyun-Jin Ryu is expected to come off the IL and start. The Yankees haven't set their rotation yet