After an unfortunate loss on a day where the Blue Jays could have moved within a half game of the Yankees for the 2nd WC spot, the Blue Jays were looking to snap a two-game skid. Santiago Espinal and Joakim Soria were both activated. Kevin Smith was optioned to AAA and Thomas Hatch was placed on the IL with a hamstring strain. Ryan Borucki's suspension was reduced by a game and he started serving it tonight. Robbie Ray got the start with Reese McGuire behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field as CF for the first time since injuring his knee in Seattle August 14. Alejandro Kirk served as the DH tonight. Corey Dickerson was in LF for the injured Lourdes Gurriel Jr, who was spiked in the hand by Randal Grichuk last night. Santiago Espinal was at the hot corner. Could the Blue Jays stop the 2-game skid? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Twins opened the scoring in the bottom of the 3rd as Luis Arraez tripled home Andrelton Simmons
- A batter later, Byron Buxton hammered a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Arraez
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 6th as Marcus Semien smashed a solo bomb to left-center and into the Twins bullpen
- Bailey Ober pitching line: 5.1IP 4H 1R (earned) 0BB 6K 81 pitches (52 for strikes)
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 6IP 5H 3R (all earned) 2BB 10K 90 pitches (59 for strikes)
- Alex Colome pitched a perfect 9th for his 16th save of the season
- Final score: Twins 3 Blue Jays 1
- Jose Berrios threw 6 strong innings, giving up 3 runs on 5 hits while walking 2 and striking out 10. He worked his way out of jams in the 1st and 4th inning, but was unable to get out of the 3rd inning without some damage. Berrios retired the final nine batters he faced.
- The bullpen was solid, giving up a hit and a walk over the final 2 innings while striking out a batter
- The offence remains flat. Marcus Semien went yard and got 2 hits. Corey Dickerson had a hit and walk and Santiago Espinal doubled in his first AB back from the IL.
- The Blue Jays were 0-6 with runners in scoring position.
- In terms of the WC race, the Yankees won over the Red Sox, the Mariners were leading and the A's were also leading. At the moment, the Blue Jays are 2 games back of the Yankees for the 2nd WC spot and the Mariners are 2.5 games back of the Yankees and the A's are 4.5 games back of the Yankees
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to snap the 3-game skid. Robbie Ray starts against Twins righty John Gant