After dropping the first 2 of this crucial weekend series vs. the Twins and 3 straight overall, the Blue Jays were looking to get back on track with ace Robbie Ray on the bump. Joakim Soria was placed on the COVID-related IL and lefty Kirby Snead was recalled from AAA. Alejandro Kirk was behind the plate. Teo got the half day off as DH with Corey Dickerson in LF, George Springer in CF and Randal Grichuk in RF. Santiago Espinal was at the hot corner. Could the Blue Jays snap the 3-game skid? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Twins opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st on a sac fly by Mitch Garver that scored Jorge Polanco
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the top of the 3rd as Teoscar Hernandez annihilated a solo bomb to dead center
- Four batters later, Randal Grichuk doubled scoring Santiago Espinal
- John Gant pitching line: 3IP 3H 2R (1 earned) 2BB 1K 47 pitches (32 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 6th as Marcus Semien bashed a solo blast to left-center
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the top of the 7th as George Springer hammered a 2-run bomb to left; also scoring Danny Jansen
- Robbie Ray pitching line: 6IP 3H 1R (earned) 4BB 6K 104 pitches (60 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 8th as Jansen singled scoring Hernandez
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Twins 1
- Robbie Ray threw 6 solid innings, giving up 1 run on 3 hits while walking 4 and striking out 6. The delayed start due to Justin Morneau being inducted into the Twins hall of fame seemed to affect him early as his battled his command. Ray has one more start before a potential WC game start.
- The bullpen was perfect over the last 3 innings striking out 2 batters.
- The big bats were at it again. The Blue Jays hit 3 HR for 4 runs. Teo had the biggest bash ripping one out to the deepest part of the ball park. George Springer hit one to the second deck.
- Every Blue Jay except Vlad, who drew a walk had at least one hit
- The Blue Jays were 2-7 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the WC race, the Yankees won and moved into a tie with the Red Soxfor the 1st WC spot. The Blue Jays are 2 games back of the Yankees and Red Sox. The Mariners were losing big and poised to drop 3 games back of the Yankees/Red Sox and a game back of the Blue Jays. The A's won earlier and are 2 games back of the Blue Jays and 4 ganes back of the Red Sox/Yankees
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to make it two straight wins ahead of a crucial final homestand. Alek Manoah starts against Twins righty Griffin Jax