After dropping the first game of the home and home series vs. the Twins (the Blue Jays and Twins meet in Minnesota next weekend. There has to be some concern with Hyub-Jin Ryu struggling in recent starts. Joakim Soria was placed on the family medical emergency list and Anthony Castro was recallled from AAA. Steven Matz got the start with Reese McGuire behind the plate. Randal Grichuk was in CF and Breyvic Valera got the start at the hot corner. Could the lue Jays even the weekend series against the Twins? Here is today's game recap.
- The Twins opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Josh Donaldson whacked a 2-run blast to the opposite-field in right; also scoring Jorge Polanco
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 4th as Marcus Semien bashed a solo blast to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen
- Three batters later, Teoscar Hernandez jacked a 3-run shot to left and into the Blue Jays bullpen; also scoring Vladimir Guerrero and Bo Bichette
- Bailey Ober pitching line: 4IP 4H 4R (all earned) 2BB 3K 74 pitches (48 for strikes)
- Steven Matz pitching line: 5.2IP 3H 2R (both earned) 2BB 5K 96 pitches (62 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 7th as Bichette singled home Danny Jansen and George Springer
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Twins 2
- Steven Matz gave the Blue Jays what they needed, pitching into the 6th inning. With no off-day until September 27, it was important to pitch at least into the 6th inning. Matzq gave up 2 runs on 3 hits while walking 2 and striking out 5. He made one mistake to Josh Donaldson and that was pretty much it. Matz retired 11 in a row before walking Donaldson with 2 outs in the 6th.
- The bullpen was excellent, giving up a hit and a walk while striking out 4 over the final 3.1 innings.
- The offense was provided by the four all-stars. Marcus Semien Whacked his 40th HR, Teo added 3-run shot and Bo singled home a pair.
- In terms of the WC race, the Red Sox won and the Yankees lost. The Mariners were set to take on the Royals later in the day and the A's were playing the Angels in an evening start. For the moment, the Blue Jays are in the 2nd WC spot, a half game ahead of the Yankees.
- Up next, tehe Blue Jays got for 2 straight wins. Jose Berrios will face his former team. The Twins will counter with an unannounced starter.