After two excellent cme from behind wins yesterday, the Blue Jays were looking to keep it rolling with a series win over the Orioles and three straight wins. Anthony Castro was optioned to AAA with Trent Thornton being recalled. Steven Matz got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Jake Lamb at 1B. Breyvic Valera was at the hot corner and Randal Grichuk was in CF. Could the Blue Jays make it three straight wins? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Teoscar Hernandez was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded scoring Bo Bichette
- A batter later, Lourdes Gurrie Jr. hammered a grand slam to dead center; aso scoring Hernandez, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Marcus Semien
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 2nd as Guerrero Jr. annihilated a solo bomb to left
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom half of the inning on a ground out by Kelvin Gutierriez that scored Anthony Santander
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the top of the 3rd as Danny Jansen doubled scoring Randal Grichuk and Guerriel Jr.
- A batter later, Breyvic Valera singled home Jansen
- A batter after that, Jake Lamb smashed a solo blast to right-center
- Four batters later, Hernandez hammered a grand slam to right-center; also scoring Bichette, Semien and Guerrero Jr.
- Four batters later, Valera doubled home Gurriel Jr.
- Zac Lowther pitching line: 2IP 4H 7R (all earned) 3BB 4K 53 pitches (32 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the top of the 5th as Gurriel Jr. bashed a 2-run blast to left-center; also scoring Hernandez
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 6th on a bases loaded walk to Gurriel Jr. that plated Lamb
- A batter later, Grichuk singled home Corey Dickerson
- A batter later, Jansen singled scoring Hernandez and Gurriel Jr.
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Santander crushed a solo bomb to left-center
- Steven Matz pitching line: 6IP 6H 5R (all earned) 2BB 6K 103 pitches (67 for strikes)
- The Orioles got one back in the bottom of the 7th as Austin Wynns whacked a solo bast to left
- Three batters later, Hays doubled scoring DJ Stewart
- Final score: Blue Jays 22 Orioles 7
- Steven Matz did what the blue Jays needed him to do, throw six innings and give the bullpen a much needed break. Matz gave up 5 runs (all earned) on 6 hits while walking 2 and striking out 6. Matqz retired the first 4 batters he faced and nine in a row at one point
- Trent Thornton gave up a pair of runs on 2 hits and a walk while striking out 4 over 2 innings and Julian Merryweather threw a perfect inning in mop up duty
- The offense continues to sizzle. 2 grand slams, 22 runs on 19 hits, a hit batter and 8 walks. Ever since Orioles manager Brandon Hyde screamed at Robbie Ray in Friday's loss, it's almost seemed like the offense felt the need for some serious vengence
- Every Blue Jays starter had at least one hit and every Blue Jays starter except Marcus Semien and Bo Bichette drove in at least one run
- The Blue Jays were 8-15 with runners in scoring position
- In terms of the WC race, the Blue Jays were either joing to remain tied with the Yankees for the 2nd WC spot or be a half game ahead of the Yankees. They gained a full game on the Red Sox who lost today The Diamondbacks and Mariners were tied at 1 in the 4th.
- Up next, the Blue Jays return home to begin a 6 game home stand with 3 each against the Rays and Twins with games in TB and Minnesota slated for the following week. Alek Mamoah gets the start Monday against an unknown Rays starter.