|Alejandro Kirk hit a 3-run HR in a 10-3 loss to the Brewers|
After dropping the second game of this weekend series, the Blue Jays were looking to take the rubber match and their 13th series win of the season. Jose Berrios got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. George Springer was back in the lineup and in CF after missing a few days with a sore elbow. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Santiago Espinal was at 2B after the full day off yesterday. Could the Blue Jays end the week and road trip with a W? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Alejandro Kirk hammered a 3-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and George Springer.
- The Brewers got a pair back in the bottom half of the inning as Rowdy Tellez drilled a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Christian Yelich
- Three batters later, Omar Narvaez doubled scoring Luis Urias
- The Brewers took the lead in the bottom of the 2nd as Jonathan Davis singled home Tyrone Taylor
- A batter later, Jace Peterson scored on a ground out by Yelich
- A batter after that, Willy Adames singled scoring Davis
- The next batter, Tellez, drilled a 2-run bomb to right-center; also scoring Adames
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 2.2IP 8H 8R (all earned) 2BB 1K 66 pitches (42 for strikes)
- Chi Chi Gonzalez pitching line: 4IP 4H 3R (all earned) 2BB 3K 59 pitches (39 for strikes)
- The Brewers added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Andrew McCutchen singled home Yelich
- A batter later, Adames scored on a sac fly by Urias
- Final score: Brewers 10 Blue Jays 3
- A day after Yusei Kikuchi made just 6 outs, Jose Berrios did only Slightly better. Berrios was lit up for 8 runs on 8 hits while walking 2 and striking out 1. This isn't a good time for starting pitches to have short outings with a ton of baseball in the week ahead, including 4 games in 72 hours, including a double header Saturday to make up one of the games postponed by the lock out. Ex-teammate Rowdy Tellez hit a pair of mammoth 2-run bombs off Berrios and another ex-Blue Jay Jonathan Davis drove in a run and scored later in the same inning. Pete Walker has three pitchers to be concerned about lately: Kikuchi, Berrios and tomorrow's starter Kevin Gausman, who has also had rough start of late.
- Four relievers held the Brewers to 2 runs on 5 hits while walking 2 and striking out 4. Tim Mayza had a rough go in his inning, giving up both runs on 3 hits while walking 1. The big question is who is left after 2 shbort starts in a row? The Blue Jays play 8 games over the next 7 days and then have a tough travel out west with no off day for travel.
- The offence got off to a hot start wqwith 3 runs off a 3-run bomb to dead center by Alejandro Kirk. After that, not much offence. The final 4 Blue Jays batters were retired in order
- Up next, the Blue Jays return home for a rare 8 games in 7 day homestand. The Blue Jays play a double header Saturday against the Ray as they make up one of the games postponed due to the lockout. They kick off the home stand against the Red Sox. Kevin Gausman starts against an unannounced Red Sox pitcher.