After an off-day yesterday, the Blue Jays begin a weekend series in Detroit. The two teams split the season series in 2021 with both teams taking 2 of 3 on the road. The Tigers outscored the Blue Jays 14-13. Today begins a stretch of 13 games in 13 days. Top prospect catcher Gabriel Moreno is being recalled for the serues and is expected to make his big league debut at some point this weekend. After a disastrous game defensively by Zack Collins, the Blue Jays decided to give Moreno a look. Andrew Vasquez was placed on the 10-day IL with a right ankle sprain. Righty Jeremy Beasley was recalled to take his spot in the bullpen. Ace Jose Berrios got the start with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad served as DH for the second straight game as he nurses a sore wrist. Cavan Biggio took his spot at 1B. Could the Blue Jays start the weekend with a win? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Bo Bichette doubled scoring George Springer
- Three batters later, Alejandro Kirk doubled home Bichette
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 2nd as Lourdes Gurriel Jr. bashed a solo blast to left-center
- Two batters later, Springer drilled a 2-run bomb to left-center; also scoring Cavan Biggio
- A batter later, Bichette hammered a solo bomb to left
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 5th as Santiago Espinal singled scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Two batters later, Gurriel Jr. doubled home Kirk
- Elvin Rodriguez pitching line: 4.1IP 8H 8R (all earned) 2BB 2K 84 pitches (51 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 6th as Guerrero Jr. doubled scoring Springer
- Two batters later, Kirk doubled home Guerrero Jr.
- The Tigers got one back in the bottom of the 8th on a sac fly by Willi Castro that scored Spencer Torkelson
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 8IP 5H 1R (earned) 1BB 5K 102 pitches (71 for strikes)
- Final score: Blue Jays 10 Tigers 1
- Jose Berrios threw 8 strong innings, giving up a run on 5 hits while walking 1 and striking out 1. Berrios had to endure a brief rain delay that started in the middle of an at-bat, which he finished with a strikeout. He retired the first 11 Tigers before Miguel Cabrera singled to break up the perfect game/no-hitter. Berrios' toughest inning was his last where he threw almost 30 pitches and two Tifers reached base in the same inning for the only time.
- Jeremy Beasley retired the side in order to finish the game.
- The bats continue to rake in June After putting up 21 runs in Minny this week, the Blue Jays put up 10 runs tonight. George Springer finished a triple shy of the cycle Santigo Espinal, Lourdes Gurriel Jr, Alejandro Kirk, Bo and Vlad all had multi-hit nights
- Every Blue Jays starter except Matt Chapman had at least one hit
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to make it two wins in a row and 12 series wins. Kevin Gausman gets the start against Tigers righty Beau Brieske