After a tough loss in Gabriel Moreno's MLB debut yesterday, the Blue Jays were looking to end the week/road trip with a win and notch their 12th series win of the season. Ross Stripling got the start with Moreno getting his second straight start behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Santiago Espinal was at the hot corner with Matt Chapman getting the complete day off. Alejandro Kirk served as DH today. Could the Blue Jays get their 12th series win of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the top of the 4th as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. whacked a 2- run blast to left; also scoring Bo Bichette
- Four batters later, Lourdes Gurriel Jr double scoring Teoscar Hernandez
- Two batters later, Gurriel Jr.scored on a ground-rule double by Cavan Biggio
- Tarik Skubal pitching line: 4IP 7H 4R (all earned) 2BB 5K 76 pitches (72 for strikes)
- Ross Stripling pitching line: 6IP 1H 0R 0BB 4K 74 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the top of the 8th as Gurriel Jr. single scoring Santiago Espinal and Alejandro Kirk
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Tigers 0
- The Blue Jays got another excellent pitching performance from Ross Stripling, who allowed just 1 hit over 6 innings. He retired the first 6 batters he faced before giving up his only hit of the day. The Tigers only other base runner came off a throwing error by Vlad to start the 5th. Stripling should be in the rotation for a while with Hyun-Jin Ryu not expected back any time soon and maybe not at all if he needs Tommy John surgery.
- The bullpen gave up just one hit over the final 3 innings while striking out 4.
- Lourdes Gurriel Jr. did most of the damage, driving in 3 runs and scoring another. Vlad also knocked one over the left field wall to plate the other 2 runs
- Every Blue Jays starter reached base at least once
- The Blue Jays were 3-9 with runners in scoring position.
- Up next, the Blue Jays return home for a week-long home stand that begins with a 4-game series against the Baltimore Orioles. Last season, the Blue Jays won the season series against the Orioles 14-5 and outscored the Orioles 153-84. Alek Manoah starts against Orioles righty Kyle Bradish