After pulling off a walk-off win despite the bullpen coughing up a late 3-run lead, the Blue Jays were gong for 2 straight wins and their 13th series win of the season. Kevin Gausman got the start with Gabriel Moreno behind the plate. Teo was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. George Springer and Matt Chapman got complete days off with Raimel Tapia and Santiago Espinal taking their spots in the field at CF and the hot corner respectively. Cavan Biggio was at 2B. Alejandro Kirk served as DH. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins and notch their 13th series win of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Orioles opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Cedric Mullins scored on a fielder's choice on a ball hit by Adley Rutschman
- The Orioles added a pair of runs in the top of the 3rd as Ryan Mountcastle singled scoring Mullins and Austin Hays
- Two batters later, Mountcastle scored on a sac fly by Rougned Odor
- A batter later, Tyler Nevin doubled scoring Rutschman
- A batter after that, Ryan McKenna doubled home Nevin
- Two batters later, Jorge Mateo singled home McKenna
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 2.1IP 7H 7R (5 earned) 1BB 3K 53 pitches (35 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 4th as Teoscar Hernandez smacked a solo blast to left-center
- The Orioles added a run in the top of the 7th as Odor tripled home Rutschman
- A batter later, Odor scored on a sac fly by Nevin
- Tyler Wells pitching line: 6IP 5H 1R (earned) 1BB 3K 86 pitches (59 for strikes)
- The Orioles added a run in the top of the 8th as Hays smashed a solo bomb to left-center
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Alejandro Kirk singled scoring Bradley Zimmer
- Final score: Orioles 10 Blue Jays 2
- Kevin Gausman was lit up for 7 runs (5 earned) on 7 hits while walking 1 and striking out three while recording just 7 outs. The Orioles scored one one him in the opening inning on a fielder's and Gausman allowed just a 2-out walk in the 2nd inning. However, he could not escape the third inning. The Orioles would score 6 runs on 7 hits in the inning. Every run was charged to Gausman and he gave up 5 of the hits. Here's hoping he bounces back next start.
- The bullpen gave up a further 3 runs on 6 hits while walking 1 and striking out 5 (all strikeouts were thrown by Jeremy Beasley) over the final 6.2. More importantly, the Blue Jays only had to use 3 relievers to finish the game. The Blue Jays still have 6 days until the next off day, then play 19 in 19, including a double header against TB July 2nd.
- The offense had a quiet day, scraping together 2 runs on a solo shot by Teo in the 4th and an RBI single in the 8th by Alejandro Kirk
- Up next, a crucial 3-game series against the Yankees, who have won 6 of 9 meetings in the season series so far and have outscored the Blue Jays 35-22. They also have a 9.5 game lead over the Blue Jays for the AL East division title. It could be 10 games by the end of the night, pending the outcome of their game against the Rays. Ross Stripling starts against Yankees lefty Jordan Montgomery