After a 10-1 shellacking of the Tigers on an excellent 8-inning effort from Jose Berrios and the entire lineup but Matt Chapman contributing offensively, the Blue Jays were looking for 2 straight wins and their 12th series win of the season. Top prospect Gabriel Moreno made his big league debut catching Kevin Gausman. ,Moreno donned Russell Martin's old #55. Zack Collins was optioned back to AAA-ball as the Blue Jays opted to go with 2 catchers. Tim Mayza was activated off the 10-dayIL with Jeremy Beasley being optioned back to AAA-ball. Vlad was back in the field after 2 straight games as DH. George Springer got the half day off as DH with Raimel Tapia in CF. Cavan Biggio got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays win in Moreno's MLB debut and notch their 2nd straight W and 12th series win of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Tigers opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Harold Castro singled scoring Victor Reyes
- The Tigers added a run in the bottom of the 4th as Eric Haase tripled home Javier Baez
- Beau Brieske pitching line: 5.1IP 7H 0R 0BB 2K 86 pitches (59 for strikes)
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 6IP 6H 2R (1 earned) 3BB 4K 87 pitches (53 for strikes)
- The Tigers added a run in the top of the 7th as Reyes singled home Haase
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 9th as George Springer singled scoring Gabriel Moreno
- Gregory Soto got the last 3 outs for his 13th save of the season
- Final score: Tigers 3 Blue Jays 1
- Kevin Gausman had a better start, giving up 2 runs (1 earned) on 6 hits while walking three and striking out 4. Moreno and Gausman had a rough time coming together in the 1st inning with Gausman walking 2 in the inning. Although he had to work out of a couple of jams, Gausman did a decent job working with a catcher who was making his big league debut.
- David Phelps gave up a back-breaking 3rd run in the 7th inning. Tim Mayza made his return from the IL and retired the two batters he faced.
- Gabriel Moreno had an up and down day in his big league debut. He and Kevin Gausman had to battle to escape most innings. The eye test says he does a better job of framing pitches than Zack Collins does. He got his first big league hit in the 9th inning and scored the Blue Jays only run
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to win the rubber match and earn their 12 series win of the season. Ross Stripling gets the start against Tigers lefty Tarik Skubal