Jose Berrios threw 7 strong innings in a 12-3 rout over the Twins
After a difficult loss to end a season-long 8-game winning streak, the Blue Jays were looking to start another streak. Jose Berrios got the start against his former team with Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Cavan Biggio at 1B. Teo was back in RF after the half day off as DH yesterday. Matt Chapman was back at the hot corner after the full day off as a precaution after a hit by pitch Thursday. Santiago Espinal was back at 2B after playing the hot corner yesterday. Could the Blue Jays even the weekend series? Here is today's game recap.
- The Twins opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Jorge Polanco hammered a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Luis Arraez
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Bo Bichette hammered a solo bomb to the second deck in left
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 2nd as Cavan Biggio doubled scoring Alejandro Kirk
- A batter later, George Springer singled home Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
- A batter after that, Biggio scored on a fielding error by Jermaine Palacios on a ball hit by Bichette
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 3rd as Kirk whacked a 2-run blast to left; also scoring Teoscar Hernandez
- Dylan Bundy pitching line: 2.1IP 8H 6R (5 earned) 1BB 2K 67 pitches (42 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 4th as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. smacked a 2-run blast to left; also scoring Bichette
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Matt Chapman scored on a sac fly by Springer
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 7IP 3H 2R (both earned) 2BB 13K 90 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 8th as Gurriel Jr. singled scoring Hernandez and Santiago Espinal
- A batter later, Biggio singled home Chapman
- The Twins got one back in the top of the 9th as Jose Miranda scored on a ground out by Mark Contreras
- Final score: Blue Jays 12 Twins 3
- A rough start to the game turned into a nice start for Jose Berrios, facing his former team for the 3rd time since being traded at last year's trade deadline. Today, Berrios fell behind 2-0 early after giving up a 2-run shot in the 1st inning. After allowing a hit in the 2nd inning, the Twins did not get another hit off him and had just 3 base runners over the next five innings on a hit batter and pair of walks. None of the 4 base runners got past 1st base and Berrios struck out a season-high 13 batters. It was Berrios best start of the season
- The bullpen held the Twins to a run on 3 hits over the final 2 innings
- The bats were on fire today. Every Blue Jays starter, except Matt Chapman had at least one hit and everyone either scored a run or drove in a run.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for two in a row and their 11th series win of the season. Kevin Gausman starts against Twins lefty Devin Smeltzer