After a lacklustre shutout loss to the Mets where Steven Matz was about the only player to show up, the Blue Jays were looking to snap the 3-game skid. Blue Jays batters had to contend with ex-teammate Taijuan Walker. Hyun-Jin Ryu got the start with Reese McGuire behind the plate. Randal Grichuk got the day off with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. back in LF after sitting out yesterday and Teo in RF. George Springer batted leadoff for the first time this season. Could the Blue Jays snap the 3-game skid and defeat their ex-teammate? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as George Springer smashed a solo blast to left
- Two batters later, Teoscar Hernandez hammered a 2-run bomb to left; also scoring Bo Bichette
- The Blue Jays addded three runs in the top of the 5th as Marcus Semien jacked a 3-run bomb to left; also scoring Springer and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Taijuan Walker pitching line: 4IP 8H 6R (all earned) 2BB 1K 76 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Mets got one back in the botto,m half of the inning as Brandon Nimmo singled scoring Luis Guillorme
- A batter later, Pete Alonso singled scoring Brandon Drury
- A batter after that, Dominic Smith singled home Nimmo
- Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching line: 4.1IP 10H 3R (all earned) 1BB 4K 77 pitches (55 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 7th as Bichette hammered a solo bomb to left
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 9th as Bichette singled home Semien
- A batter later, Hernandez bashed an opposite-field 2-run shot to right; also scoring Bichette
- Final score: Blue Jays 10 Mets 3
- Rough one for Hyun-Jin, who was knocked around to the tune of 3 runs on 10 hits while walking 1 and striking out 4. There's something about the chemistry he has with Danny Jansen. Ryu just doesn't seem as comfortable with Reese McGuire. Perhaps next start, they should try Alejandro Kirk behind the plate. Offensively, Ryu was 0-2.
- The bullpen scattered 4 hits, walked a batter and struck out 4 over the final 4.2 innings
- The Blue Jays put on a defensive clinic. Lourdes GurrieL Jr. gunned down Brandon Nimmo at the plate to end the 1st inning. George Springer made a tremendous diving catch in the 3rd and Teoscar Hernandez made a great grab against the fence in the 8th. The infielders contributed with three sweet double plays
- Offensively, the Blue Jays cracked five home runs for nine runs and Bichette singled a 10th run in. The all-stars (Vlad, Bo, Marcus Semien and Teo) combined to go 6-18 with 8 runs scored and 9 runs batted in
- The Blue Jays were 2-7 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for 2 wins in a row. Ross Stripling starts against Mets lefty Rich Hill