After a rainout last night in Baltimore, the Blue Jays traveled to Tampa Bay to wrap up the pre-all-star schedule. The Rays have won 6 of the 10 games in the season series so far and have outscored the Blue Jays 49-47. Alek Manoah, who was supposed to start yesterday's game that was rained out, started tonight instead. Reese McGuire was behind the plate. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. got the half dat off with Teoscar Hernandez in LF and Randal Grichuk in RF. Could the Blue Jays start the final series before the all-star break wth a win and make it two wins in a row? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as George Springer doubled scoring Bo Bichette
- The Rays took the lead in the bottom half of the inning as Austin Meadows singled scoring Mike Zunino and Brett Phillips
- The Rays added a run in the bottom of the 4th on a hit by pitch to Ji-Man Choi that forced in Taylor Walls
- Alek Manoah pitching line: 3.2IP 3H 3R (2 earned) 3BB 9K 88 pitches (48 for strikes)
- Shane McClanahan pitching line: 4IP4H 1R (earned) 3BB 5K 91 pitches (58 for strikes)
- The Rays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 6th as Choi singled home Zunino and Phillips
- The Rays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 7th as Walls doubled scoring Joey Wendle and Kevin Kiermaier
- Final score: Rays 7 Blue Jays 2
- Not the best start for Alek Manoah, who gave up 3 runs (2 earned) on 3 hits while walking 2 (and a hit batter) and striking out 9. Manoah did achieve a milestone, becoming the fastest Blue Jay to 50 strikeouts, doing it in 8 games. He threw a ton of pitches which drove up the pitch count. You have to wonder if the extra day of rest affected him,
- Bullpen wasn't great either and in particular Anthony Castro and Jacob Barnes, who combined to give up 4 runs on 5 hits and a walk over 2 innings. Taylor Saucedo, Rafael Dolis and Adam Cimber were much better, allowing just a walk and striking out 5 over 3.1 innings
- Offensively, it was more of the same. George Springer drove in a pair in the 3rd and that was it. Vlad extended his hitting streak to 6 games
- Reese McGuire has cooled off at the plate - he has one hit in his last 6 games. You have to wonder how long Alejandro Kirk will remain in AAA ball.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to even the weekend series. Ross Stripling gets the start against Rays lefty Ryan Yarsborough