Aftera late inning loss yesterday, the Blue Jays were looking for their 4th straight series win. Ace Hyun-Jin Ryu got the start. A couple of relievers are nearing a return. Rafael Dolis is headed for a rehab assignment. Ryan Borucki isn't far behind after throwing a live BP yesterday. George Springer got the half day off, serving as DH with Teoscar Hernandez was in RF, Randal Grichuk was in CF and Lourdes Gurriel Jr. in LF. Reese McGuire got the start behind the plate. It's expected one of Danny Jansen or Alejandro Kirk could be ready to rejoin the team. Santiago Espinal was at the got corner. Could the Blue Jays make it four wins in a row? Here is today's game recap.
- The Mariners opened the scoring in the top of the 2nd as Kyle Seagar singled scoring JP Crawford
- A batter later, Mitch Hanigar scored on a sac fly by Ty France
- The Bluew Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Marcus Semien led off with a solo blast to left-center
- The Mariners added a run in the top of the 2nd as Jake Fraley whacked a solo blast to right
- The Mariners added a pair of runs in the top of the 3rd as Shed Long Jr. smashed a 2-run bomb to right-center; also scoring Jake Bauers
- Hyun-Jin Ryu pitching line: 4IP 7H 5R (4 earned) 2BB 2K 85 pitches (55 for strikes)
- Yusei Kikuchi pitching line: 7IP 5H 1R (earned) 1BB 6K 100 pitches (64 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 8th as Seagar singled home Crawford
- The Mariners added a run in the top of the 9th as Seagar singled home Crawford. Two batters later, Bauers singled scoring Hanigar
- Paul Sewald got the final 4 outs for his first save of the season
- Final score: Mariners 7 Blue Jays 2
- It was another rough start for Hyun-Jin Ryu, who gave up 5 runs (4 earned) on 7 hits while walking 2 and striking out 2. More concerning was it took Ryu 50 pitches to get through the first 2 innings. He was also getting a lot of hard hit balls. Hopefully Pete Walker can sort him out.
- Adam Cimber pitched his first game as a Blue Jay, allowing 1 hit and striking out 1 in 1.1 innings
- Tyler Chatwood had another rough outing, giving up 2 runs on 2 hits and 2 walks. Charlie Montoyo said after the game that Chatwood has been battling a stiff neck, which has been affecting his availability game-to-game.
- Marcus Semien was the offence, scoring both runs
- The Blue Jays were 1-7 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to scap the 2 game skid as they begin a weekend series against the Ray, who have taken 5 of the 7 games in the season series, outscoring the Blue Jays 40-29 so far. Alek Manoah gets the start Friday. The Rays have not named a starter yet.