|Teoscar Hernandez had 3 hits in the double header today as the Blue Jays fell twice to the Rays; 3-2 in the 1st game and 7-5 (8 innings) in the 2nd game |
After clobbering the Rays last night, the Blue Jays were right back at it, trying for their first series win of the season. In this blink and you'll miss it season, the Blue Jays are coming up on trade deadline day in 2 weeks. How a team like the St. Louis Cardinals can possibly expect to evaluate their players and needs with having played just five games is a mystery to me, but I guess they'll have to base things on a very short sample or on last year's stats? Chase Anderson made his second start of the season today. He went three innings last time out. You figure he might be allowed another 10-15 pitches today, or an extra inning. Vlad and Rowdy Tellez swapped positions today with Vlad back in the field after a half night off last night, serving as the DH. Tellez was the DH tonight. Reese McGuire got the start behind the plate, which makes sense with the quick turnaround between games this weekend. Travis Shaw was given the day off and Brandon Drury got the start at the hot corner tonight. Could the Blue Jays make it two in a row? Here is today's game recap.
Game highlights (1st game):
- The Rays opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Austin Meadows whacked a solo shot to right-center
- Chase Anderson pitching line: 3IP 5H 1R (earned) 0BB 3K 59 pitches (39 for strikes)
- Ryan Yarbrough pitching line: 3IP 4H 0R 0BB 2K 51 pitches (36 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom of the 4th as Rowdy Tellez singled scoring Randal Grichuk
- The Rays took the lead in the top of the 5th as Ji-man Choi doubled home Yanny Diaz
- The Blue Jays tied the game in the bottom half of the inning as Hernandez doubled home Joe Panik
- The Rays took the lead in the top of the 9th as Brandon Lowe lined a solo blast to dead center
- Nick Anderson pitched a perfect 9th for his 3rd save of the season
- Final score: Rays 3 Blue Jays 2
My Take (1st game):
- As expected, Chase Anderson threw another 15 pitches, after tossing 45 pitches in his first game of the season. Overall, not a horrible outing for hm. Just one mistake that left the yard and 4 other hits (all singles) allowed on the night. The two teams only managed one more half inning after Anderson was dome for the day due to inclement weather that included thunderstorms and quarter-sized hail.
- The Blue Jays lost Bo Bichette prior to the game resuming after he injured his knee stretching before an AB.
- Jordan Romano gave up his first run of the season, unfortunately it was the difference in the game
- The 2nd Rays run was a bit of a weird play. Teoscar Hernandez booted the ball than threw it past Cavan Biggio and into the camera well. The Rays thought Choi should have scored, but the umpires kept him at 3rd base.
- Up next, the Blue Jays and Rays take a thirty minute break to change uniforms before starting the second game of today's doubleheader. The second game will be 7 innings
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 2nd as Randal Grichuk swatted a 2-run blast to left-center; also scoring Cavam Biggio
- Yonny Chirinos pitching line: 2.2IP 5H 2R (both earned) 0BB 3K 50 pitches (32 for strikes)
- The Rays took the lead in the top of the 3rd as as Yoshi Tsutsugo smacked a 3-run blast to left-center; also scoring Brandon Lowe and Joey Wendle
- The Blue Jays tied it up in the bottom half of the inning as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. lined a screamer to left-center
- Three batters later, Anthony Alford sent one over the wall in left-center for a 2-run bomb; also scoring Danny Jansen
- Matt Shoemaker pitching line: 3IP 3H 3R (all earned) 1BB 7K 60 pitches (39 for strikes)
- The Rays got one back in the top of the 5th on a sac fly by Austin Meadows that scored Kevin Kiermaier
- The Rays tied the game in the top of the 7th as Yandy Diaz singled scoring Meadows
- The Rays took the lead in the top of the 8th as Willy Adames cranked a 2-run blast to dead center; also scoring Ji-man Choi
- Aaron Slegers pitched a perfect 9th for his first save of the season
- Final score: Rays 7 Blue Jays 5 (8 innings)
- Both Matt Shoemaker and Charlie Montoyo were ejected for arguing balls and strikes. It's too bad because Shoemaker was having a solid game with 7 strikeouts. He may not be here in Toronto much longer with the trade deadline fast approaching and him being on an expiring contract
- The Blue Jays lost again in extra-innings, dropping their record to 1-4 in extra inning games. Apparently the Blue Jays aren't set up with enough depth in the bullpen or enough clutch hitters to win games with the temporary extra inning format
- Aaron Loup was the only pitcher to throw in both games
- Unsurprisingly, Vlad was the DH in the 2nd game after playing the opener in the field
- Up next, the Blue Jays hit the road to Baltimore to take on a surprising Orioles team that is 12-9 after losing over 100 games in each of the last 2 seasons. Hyun Jin Ryu takes the ball for the Blue Jays against an unknown Orioles pitcher.