|Vlad had a pair of RBI and a run scored in a 5-0 shutout win over the Orioles|
After prevailing in a tough back and forth game last night, the Blue Jays were back at it, trying for their 5th straight win over the Orioles and 3rd straight overall. The newly acquired Taijuan Walker made his Blue Jays debut, starting on the mount for Toronto. Vlad got the half day off, serving as the DH With Rowdy Tellez. Derek Fisher got the start in LF. Could the Blue Jays make it three wins in a row? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. singled home Teoscar Hernandez and Rowdy Tellez
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 4th on a fielder's choice hit by Derek Fisher that scored Guerrero Jr. The out at second stood after a challenge by the Blue Jays
- Three batters later, Cavan Biggio singled home Fisher and Joe Panik
- Alex Cobb pitching line: 4IP 8H 5R (4 earned) 2BB 2K 76 pitches (48 for strikes)
- Tiajuan Walker pitching line: 6IP 4H 0R 3BB 4K 92 pitches (56 for strikes)
- Final score: Blue Jays 5 Orioles 0
- Taijuan Walker had a solid debut in a Blue Jays uniform, firing 6 shutout innings, scattering 4 hits while walking 3 and striking out 4. His counterpart, Alex Cobb, who was perhaps making his final start in an Orioles uniform, was not as impressive, giving up 5 runs (1 unearned due to a bobble at 2B on a fielder's choice) giving up 8 hits, walking 2 and striking out 2. I can't imagine how difficult it is to play your best when you are one a team that's heading for a 4th straight losing season like the Orioles, versus being traded to a team challenging for a WC spot. The Orioles went on a streak where they won 6 straight, but have since lost 10 out of their last 14, including today. Toronto has been playing .500 ball for much of the season, but that's good enough to be in the WC hunt in a 60 game sprint with expanded playoffs.
- Vlad and Tellez are both making their case for playing time. Rowdy drew a pair of walks and scored a run, while Vlad had a pair of base knocks, 2 RBI and scored a run. Makes me wonder when Daniel Vogelbach will get playing time and where
- The bullpen was excellent in the final 3 innings, giving up just a single hit. Wilmer Font bounced back nicely after a disastrous half inning on Tuesday with a perfect 9th, including a strikeout.
- Up next, the Blue Jays look to keep things rolling and extend the win streak to 4 games. Tanner Roark gets the start against Orioles righty Jorge Lopez.