|Randal Grichuk hit a pair of home runs as the Blue Jays completed a sweep of the Orioles with a 5-2 victory |
After taking the first 2 games of this series to start the week, the Blue Jays were going for a series sweep. Tanner Roark got the start on the mound. Reese McGuire was behind the plate (he should play one of the two games in the double-header tomorrow). Lourdes Gurriel Jr. got the half day off, serving as the DH today (Randal Grichuk was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday. Could the Blue Jays make it three in a row and get within a game of .500? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 2nd as Randal Grichuk hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- The Orioles tied the game in the bottom of the 4th as Dwight Smith Jr. singled scoring Hanser Alberto. Smith Jr. wound up on 3rd base after Teoscar Hernandez misplayed the grounder
- A batter later, Pat Valaika singled scoring Smith Jr.
- Three batters later, Hernandez atoned for his error by gunning down Valaika at the plate after catching a Chance Sisco fly ball for the 2nd out
- The Blue Jays retook the lead in the top of the 5th as Randal Grichuk crushed a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Travis Shaw
- Tanner Roark pitching line: 5IP 9H 2R (1 earned) 1BB 5K 94 pitches (60 for strikes)
- Tommy Millone pitching line: 6IP 7H 3R (all earned) 0BB 7K 89 pitches (65 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 8th on a sac fly by Brandon Drury that scored Shaw
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 9th as Lourdes Gurriel Jr. singled scoring Cavan Biggio
- Rafael Dolis pitched a scoreless 9th for his 1st save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 5 Orioles 2
- Finally, the Blue Jays let a pitcher throw over 90 pitches! Bad news: Tanner Roark gave up 9 hits. Good news: He only allowed one earned run. Bad news: that's because Teoscar Hernandez let a ground ball go under his glove. Good news: Hernandez later threw out a runner at home to end the 4th inning. Roark pitched well enough to escape most of the jams unscathed, except for the 4th inning.
- Randal Grichuk continues to swing a hot bat, with another 2 home runs and 3 RBI. Much better to see him hitting clean-up today. Looks like Monotoyo heard me
- Interesting sub when Cavan Biggio pinch hit for Anthony Alford, who was in left field this afternoon. It was Biggio's first experience playing left field
- Up next, the Blue Jays head home to Buffalo for a brief one-day stay as they play a double header to make up two of the three games that were postponed due to the Phillies having COVID-19 concerns. Chase Anderson will start the 1st game against Phillies righty Spencer Howard. Trent Thonton is expected to be activated from the IL to start the second game. The Phillies will counter with righty Vince Velasquez