|Rowdy Tellez was 3-4 with 2 runs scored and 4 RBI in a 9-1 rout over the Red Sox|
After a tough loss stemming from a disastrous half inning for Wilmer Font. A few roster moves ahead of today's game. Sean-Reid Foley was added to the roster and Derek Fisher was activated from the IL. Relievers Sam Gaviglio and Travis Bergen were sent back to the taxi squad. Inclement weather was in the forecast for tonight, so there was question whether the full game would go ahead. It was essentially a bullpen day for both teams with Nate Pearson (stiff elbow) and Nathan Eovaldi (calf strain) were both unable to pitch. Julian Merryweather got the ball first for the Blue Jays tonight. Travis Shaw was back in the lineup after being pulled with knee discomfort prior to the 3rd inning last night. Randal Grichuk was back in the field after DH'ing last night, putting Cavan Biggio back at his natural 3B position. Vlad got the half day off tonight, serving as the DH. Rowdy Tellez got the start at 1B. Reese McGuire was behind the plate. Could the Blue Jays even the series? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Randal Grichuk crack a solo blast to left-center
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 2nd as Rowdy Tellez smashed a solo bomb to dead center
- Julian Merryweather pitching line: 2IP 1H 0R 0BB 3K 36 pitches (23 for strikes)
- The Red Sox got one back in the top of the 3rd as Mitch Moreland smashed a solo blast to right
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 4th as Tellez crushed a 2-run bomb to right; also scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Colten Brewer pitching line: 3.2IP 5H 4R (all earned) 2BB 4K 80 pitches (49 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Grichuk singled home Santiago Espinal
- Two batters later, Guerrero Jr. doubled scoring Cavanan Biggio, Teoscar Hernandez and Grichuk
- Two batters later, Tellez singled scoring Guerrero Jr.
- Final score: Blue Jays 9 Red Sox 1
- It was another stellar performance for a bullpen that has literally pitched more innings this season than the starters. With no off-day until September 10th and three starting pitchers on the injured list, the bullpen will be taxed even further. Tonight, Julian Merryweather and three relievers held the Red Sox to 1 run on three hits and 3 walks. Sean Reid-Foley made his first appearance of the season, tossing a perfect inning of mop-up duty in the 9th.
- Rowdy Tellez and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. both did their level best to make the roster decision when Daniel Vogelbach is set to be activated a difficult one. Guerrero Jr. and Tellez combined for 5 hits, 4 runs and 7 RBI between them. Vlad has had much better AB's recently.
- It was good to see Travis Shaw back in the lineup after he left in the 3rd inning last night. The Blue Jays are already being forced to be creative with their lineup the absence of Bo Bichette and Randal Grichuk playing through an injury.
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for the series win in the rubber match of this series. Ace Hyun-Jin Ryu gets the start with the hopes of pitching into the 7th inning and/or throwing 100 pitches. The Red Sox will counter with righty Chris Mazza