|Mitch White pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in a 5-0 shutout loss to the Red Sox|
After edging the Giants yesdterday, thanks to a 2-run bomb off the bat of Vladdy, whi is set to hit in the home run derby of the upcoming all-star game, the Blue Jays were going for three straight wins and their first of the season against division rivals Boston Red Sox. The Blue jays suffered a 4-game sweep in Boston two months ago with the Red Sox outscoring the Blue Jays 32-19. Jose Berrios got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field after DH'ing yesterday (Alejandro Kirk served as DH tonight). The rest of the lineup was the same as yesterday's win over the Giants. Could the Blue Jays extend the win streak to 3 games and win their first of the season against Boston? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Red Sox opened the scoring in the top of the 5th as Justin Turner bashed a solo blast to left-center
- The Red Sox added a pair of runs in the top of the 6th as as Jaren Durran belted a 2-run bomb to dead center; also scoring Connor Wong
- Two batters later, Masataka Yoshida hammered a solo bomb to right-center
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 6IP 5H 4R (all earned) 0BB 8K 98 pitches (63 for strikes)
- The Red Sox added a run in the top of the 8th on a sac fly by Turner that scored Alex Verdugo
- James Paxton pitching line: 7.2IP 3H 0R 2BB 7K 110 pitches (70 for strikes)
- Final score: Red Sox 5 Blue Jays 0
- Jose Berrios threw 6 innings, giving up 4 runs on 5 hits wgule walking none and striking out 8. The long ball hurt Berrios today, as the Red Sox took him yard three times for four runs over the 5th and 6th innings. After allowing a two-out hit in the 1st inning, Berrios retired ten in a row before Justin Turner went deep to break the scoreless tie.
- The bullpen gave up a run on 4 hits while walking 1 and striking out 3 over the last 3 innings. Mist of the damage was done against Trent Thornton, who was charged with the run and gave up three of the base hits and walked a batter.
- Offensively, not much happened. The Blue Jays managed a measly three hits and drew two walks. They could not take advantage of an egregious error in the top of the 9th when three Red Sox fielders collided on what looked like a sure out on a George Springer pop-up.
- The Blue Jays need to find a way to beat their division rivals, otherwise the Blue Jays will either miss the playoffs completely or be swept in the 1st round since it will likely be an AL East team they would face in the wild card round.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to even the weekend series against the Red Sox. Yusei Kikuchi starts against Red Sox righty Kutter Crawford