|Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit a 2-run HR in a 6-3 come-from behind win over the A's|
After dropping yesterday's series opener against the A's, the Blue Jays were looking to even the weekend set. Adam Cimber was placed on the 10 game IL with Bowden Francis getting the recall from AAA- ball. Jose Berrios got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Daulton Varsho was in CF and Whit Merrifield was in LF. Santiago Espinal got the start at 2B. Could the Blue Jays even the weekend series against the A's? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st on a sac fly by Brandon Belt that scored George Springer
- Two batters later, Matt Chapman singled scoring Bo Bichette
- Shintaro Fujinami pitching line: 0.2IP 4H 2R (both earned) 0BB 0K 22 pitches (13 for strikes)
- The A's got one back in the top of the 2nd a Seth Brown hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom half of the inning as Santiago Espinal was forced in when Vladimir Guerrero Jr was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded
- The A's got one back in the top of the 3rd as Ryan Noda double scoring Tony Kemp. Noda was thrown out at third base on the play trying to stretch a double into a triple
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning as Danny Jansen belted a 2-run blast to left-center; also scoring Daulton Varsho
- The A's got one back in the top of the 6th as Tyler Wade singled scoring Jace Pederson
- The Blue Jays added a pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning as Guerrero Jr smashed a 2-run jack to straightaway center; also scoring Belt
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 6IP 6H 3R (2 earned) 2BB 8K 96 pitches (63 for strikes)
- Jordan Romano got the last out for his 23rd save of the season
- Final score Blue Jays 6 A's 3
- Jose Berrios battled through 6 innings, giving up 3 runs (2 earned) on 6 his while walking 2 and striking out 8. He had 1-2-3 innings in the 1st and the 4th. Loved his reaction of the swinging strikeout he got to end the 6th inning against what would be the final batter he faced today
- The bullpen gave up 2 hits while striking out two over the last three innings. Yimi Garcia gave up the two hits in the 9th and forced the Blue Jays to use Jordan Romano with the tying run at the plate. The Blue Jays really need to DFA Garcia, who has not shown he can be effective as a reliever in any situation.
- Don't look now but Vladdy's bat is heating up. He went yard for the second straight game and took one for the team when he was hit by a pitch to force in a run.
- Unlike yesterday's loss, the bats responded in every inning the A's scored
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for their second straight win and 15th series win of the season. Yusei Kikuchi starts against A's righty Luis Medina