|Kevin Gausman threw 6 solid innings striking out 12. including his 1500th career strikeout, in a 3-0 shutout loss to the Giants|
After an off-day yesterday, the Blue Jays continued the homestand with a three game set that began tonight against the Giants. In 2019, the Giants won the season series 3-1 and outscored the Blue Jays 18-16. Kevin Gausman got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. George Springer was back in the field after DH'ing Sunday. Daulton Varsho got the start in CF. Cavan Biggio was at 2B and Brandon Belt served as DH. Could the Blue Jays extend the win streak to 3 games? Here is tonight's game recap.
- Ryan Walker pitching line: 1IP 2H 0R 0BB 3K 24 pitches (17 for strikes)
- The Giants opened the scoring in the top of the 5th as Patrick Bailey doubled scoring Thairo Estrada
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 6IP 3H 1R (earned) 1BB 12K 106 pitches (69 for strikes)
- The Giants added a pair of runs in the top of the 9th as Estrada doubled scoring Joc Pederson and JD Davis
- Camilo Doval got the last 4 outs for his 23rd save of the season
- Final score: Giants 3 Blue Jays 0
- Kevin Gausman fired 6 strong innings, giving up a run on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 12. He hit the 1500 strikeout milestone with his 7th K of the game in the top of the 4th. Gausman is now tied with ex-Blue Jays pitcher Robbie Ray for 229th all-time with 1505 strikeouts. Nolan Ryan has the all-time record for strikeouts with 5714 strikeouts. It is doubtful anyone will catch Ryan with the pitch counts generally limiting pitchers to about 90-100 pitches, whereas in Ryan's era pitchers generally pitched until their arms fell off.
- The bullpen gave up a pair of runs on 3 hits while walking 1 and striking out 1. Erik Swanson gave up both runs to put the game out of reach.
- The Blue Jays were 0-12 with runners in scoring position.
- Up next, the Blue Jays try to even the series. Giants righty Logan Webb starts for the Giants. The Blue Jays have not named a start for tomorrow night, although it'll likely be a bullpen day with Trevor Richards getting the ball first.