|Chris Bassitt threw 8 excellent innings in a 3-2 come-from-behind win over the Astros|
After a solid win on a dominant pitching performance from Kevin Gausman, the Blue Jays were looking to even the season series and make it two straight wins. New father Chris Bassitt got the start with Tyler Heineman behind the plate. Vlad was back in the field after DH'IN yesterday (Brandon Belt served as DH tonight). Matt Chapman was back in the lineup and at the hot corner after the full day off last night. Could the Blue Jays make it two straight wins and set up a rubber match on the season series? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Astros opened the scoring in the top of the 4th as Yordan Alvarez cracked a 2-run blast to right; also scoring Jose Altuve
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Bo Bichette hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- Te Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 6th as Brandon Belt belted a solo bomb tothe third deck in right
- Ronel Blanco pitching line: 6IP 3H 2R (both earned) 4BB 5K 94 pitches (55 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays took the lead in the bottom of the 7th as Alejandro Kirk singled scoring Daulton Varsho
- Chris Bassitt pitching line: 8IP 4H 2R (both earned) 0BB 5K 81 pitches (57 for strikes)
- Jordan Romano pitched a scoreless 9th for his 16th save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 3 Astros 2
- New father Chris Bassit pulled a Greg Maddux, needing just 81 pitches to get through 8 innings. He gave up a pair of runs on 2 hits while walking none and striking out 5. Evidently he's not too sleep deprived with a brand new baby to take care of. Bassitt should get consideration to pitch in the all-star game next month. Bassit had out streaks of 8, 10 and 4 batters.
- After allowing a leadoff double, Jordan Romano retired the next three Astros batters to end the game
- Offensively, two solo shots and a clutch RBI single by Alejandro Kirk carried the day
- Up next, the rubber match of the season series and a chance at the 13th series win of the season and a three game win streak. Jose Berrios starts against Astros lefty Framber Valdez