|Trevor Richards struck out his 500th career batter in a 6-1 win over the Giants|
After a shutout loss to the Giants last night that wasted a strong start by Kevin Gausman, who struck out his 1500th career batter, the Blue Jays were looking to even the series. Trevor Richards got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. The rest of the lineup was the same as yesterday,. Could the Blue Jays even the series? Here is tonight's game recap
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Bo Bichette singled scoring George Springer
- A batter later, Brandon Belt doubled home Bichette
- Three batters later, Daulton Varsho doubled scoring Belt
- A batter later, Whit Merrifield doubled home Varsho
- A batter after that, Danny Jansen singled scoring Merrifield
- Trevor Richards pitching line: 3IP 1H 0R 1BB 5K 40 pitches (28 for strikes)
- The Giants got one back in the top of the 5th as Austin Slater hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- Logan Webb pitching line: 5IP 8H 5R (all earned) 0BB 5K 92 pitches. (62 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the bottom of the 7th as Springer singled scoring Cavan Biggio
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Giants 1
- Trevor Richards did his job, firing three shutout innings, allowing a hit and a walk and striking out 5. Richards got his 500th career strikeouts. For a reliever, that's a pretty good number of strikeouts.
- The rest of the bullpen did a solid job, giving up a run on 5 hits while walking none and striking out 4 over the last 6 innings, Yimi Garcia had his best outing of the seam, pitching a perfect 9th, striking out 1 on an efficient 12 pitches. Bowden Francis gave the Blue Jays 4 innings, although he'll want the pitch to Austin Slater, who took him yard to deep center, back.
- Offensively, the Blue Jays jumped all over Giants starter Logan Webb, scoring 5 runs on 6 hits in the 1st inning. They added an insurance run in the 8th off ex-Blue Jays pitcher Ross Stripling
- Every Blue Jays starter had at least one hit and all but Vladimir Guerrero Jr,, Matt Chapman and Danny Jansen scored a run
- The Blue Jays were 6-13 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for their 2nd straight win and 16th series win of the season. Chris Bassitt starts for the Blue Jays. The Giants have not named a starter for tomorrow's series finale.