|Matt Chapman hit a 2-run HR in a 9-5 loss to the Angels|
After a huge come-from behind win on the backs of a Bo Bichette 3-run HR, the Blue Jays were looking to extend the win streak to 5 games and make it two straight series wins. Jose Berrios got the start. Daulton Varsho was in CF and Whit Merrifield was in LF. Brandon Belt served as DH. Could the Blue Jays extend the win streak to 5 games and 2 straight series wins? Here is tonight's game recap
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 3rd as Bo Bichette hammered a 2-run HR bomb to dead center; also scoring George Springer
- Two batters later, Matt Chapman drilled a 2-run blast to left; also scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- The Angels got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Gio Urshela scored on a ground out by Luis Rengifo
- The Angels got one back in the bottom of the fourth on a ground out hit by Anthony Rendon that scored mike Trout
- A batter later, Hunter Renfroe doubled scoring Shohei Ohtani
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 5th as George Springer drilled a solo bomb to dead center
- Tyler Anderson pitching line: 4.2IP 7H 5R (all earned) 2BB 4K 71 pitches (43 for strikes)
- The Angels got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Rengifo bashed a solo blast to left-center
- Three batters later, Trout hammered a three run bomb to left-center; also scoring Taylor Ward and Matt Thiass
- Jose Berrios pitching line: 4IP 6H 6R (4 earned) 88 pitches (61 for strikes)
- The Angels added a pair of runs in the bottom of the 8th as Renfrow smashed a 2-run blast to left-center; also scoring Rendon
- Final score: Angels 9 Blue Jays 5
- Jose Berrios continues to search for answers as he has now given up 14 runs in his first two starts, 8 five days ago and amother 6 tonight. He was out of the game when the final two runs were charged to him scored (Adam Cimber relieved him in the bottom of the fifth after Berrios allowed a solo home run followed by a throwing error by him and a single to start the fifth inning). The Blue Jays gave him four runs of support in the fourth inning and Berrios could not hold the lead. Obviously, Berrios has work to do in his side sessions between starts.
- The relievers gave up three runs on four hits, while walking two and striking out three to put the game out of reach.
- All five Blue Jays runs came off of the long ball. Chapman and Bo Bichette both contributed 2-run jacks and George Springer added a solo shot
- The Blue Jays were an abysmal 0-7 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays wrap up the road trip with a matinee in Anaheim. Yusei Kikuchi will be trying for his second solid start of the season. Angels will counter with lefty Reid Detmer, the third straight southpaw the Blue Jays will have faced.