|George Springer drove in the game winning run as the Blue Jays came from behind to defeat the Tigers 4-3 in ten innings
After celebrating the home opener with a bang, literally, the Blue Jays were looking to extend the win streak to 3 games. Kevin Gusman got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Matt Chapman got the half day off as DH with Santiago Espinal at the hot corner. Whit Merrifield was at 2B. Could the Blue Jays make it three wins in a row? Here is tonight's game recap.
- The Tigers opened the scoring in the top of the 4th as Nick Maton drilled a solo bomb to dead center
- The Blue Jays tied it in the bottom half of the inning as Whit Merrifield singled scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
- Ed Rodriguez pitching line: 6IP 7H 1R (earned) 1BB 3K 96 pitches (64 for strikes)
- The Tigers took the lead in the top of the 7th as Kerry Carpenter hammered a 2-run bomb to right-center; also scoring Riley Greene
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 8IP 5H 3R (all earned) 0BB 11K 103 pitches (77for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the bottom of the 9th on a sac fly by Marrifield that scored Guerrero Jr.
- A batter later, Matt Chapman scored on a sac fly by Alejandro Kirk
- The Blue Jays walked it off in the bottom of the 10th as George Springer singled scoring Danny Jansen
- Final score: Blue Jays 4 Tigers 3 (10 innings)
- Kevin Gausman was excellent tonight, pitching 8 strong innings, giving up 3 runs on 5 hits while walking none and striking out 11. He made two mistakes that went over the wall for runs. Other than that, he allowed just two other hits. Gausman retired the first ten batters he faced and fifteen of the first sixteen Tigers batters. Much like last season, the pitcher who started opening day hasn't turned out to be the team's best pitcher.
- The bullpen did its job, holding the Tigers to a walk and a hit over two innings to give the bats a chance to come through
- The offense did enough to win this game. They manufactured a pair of runs on sac fly's in the bottom of the 9th and George Springer walked it off in the 10th with a cutch single.
- Vlad and Whit Merrifield combined on the 1st two runs with Whit driving in Vlad with a single in the 4th and a sac fly in the 9th
- Up next, the Blue Jays go for 4 in a row and their 1st series sweep of the season. Chris Bassitt starts against Tigers righty Spencer Turnbull.