|Kevin Gausman threw 6 shutout innings in a 6-3 win over the Royals|
After a solid shutout win on the backs of a strong 7 shutout inning effort from ace Alek Manoah and Vladdy and Matt Chapman driving the offense, the blue jays were looking For the 3rd straight win and their first series win of the season. Kevin Gauman got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. George Springer has the complete day off with Cavan Biggio in RF. Vlad got the half day off as DH with Brandon Belt at 1B. What Merrifield was at 2B. Could the Blue Jays make it three straight wins and their first series win of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 1st as Matt Chapman doubled scoring Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Daulton Varsho
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 2nd as Bo Bichette singled home Kevin Kiermaier
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 4th as Cavan Biggio smashed a solo blast to right.
- The Blue Jays added running in the top of the 5th as Guerrero Jr. hammered a solo bomb to dead center
- Jordan Lyles pitching line: 5.2IP 8H 5R (all earned) 0BB 9K 106 pitches (73 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 7th as Varsho singled scoring Bichette
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 6IP 4H 0R 2BB 7K 86 pitches (56 for strikes)
- The Royals got one back in the bottom of the 8th as Bobby Witt Jr. drilled a solo bomb just fair down the left field line
- Three batters later, Vinnie Pasquantino singled scoring MJ Melendez
- A bater later, Edward Olicares doubled home Salvador Perez
- Adam Cimber pitched a perfect 9th for his 1st save of the season
- Final score: Blue Jays 6 Royals 3
- Kevin Gausman was excellent today, throwing 6 shut out innings allowing 4 hits while walking too and striking out 7. Gausman etired the first seven batters he faced and then 6 straight after giving up a one out walk in the 3rd inning. If he keeps giving the Blue Jays consistent pitching performances as he has the 1st 2 starts of the season, the Blue Jays should win most of his starts.
- Tim Mayza and Trevor Richards had a rough 8th inning, combining to give up 3 runs on 4 hits while walking one and getting just one out. They should thank Yimi Garcia who came in and struck out the two batters he faced to escape the jam.
- Matt Chapman continues to produce. He drove in 2 runs to open the scoring.
- Vlad and Bichette combined to go 5-10, scoring 3 runs and driving in 2
- Up next,the Blue Jays head west to Anaheim to take on the LA Angels. The Blue Jays won the season series 4-3, but the Angels outscored the Blue Jays 43-30. Chris Bassitt starts against Angels lefty Patrick Sandoval.