|Kevin Gausman threw 7 shutout innings in a 5-1 win over the Yankees, handing the Yankees their first series loss of the season.|
After an implosion by the bullpen, the Blue Jays were looking to end the week and road trip with a win and notch their 5th series win of the season. Kevin Gausman got the start with Danny Jansen behind the plate. Daulton Varsho was in LF and Kevin Kiermaier was in CF. Whit Merrifield got the start at 2B. Alejandro Kirk served as DH. Could the Blue Jays end the week on a winning note and get their 5th series win of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the top of the 6th as Vladimir Guerrero Jr. smacked a 2-run blast to left; also scoring Bo Bichette
- A batter later, Daulton Varsho hammered a solo bomb to left
- Clarke Schmidt pitching line: 5.2UP 3H 3R (all unearned) 1BB 3K 76 pitches (52 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 7th as Danny Jansen doubled scoring Whit Merrifield
- Kevin Gausman pitching line: 7IP 3H 0R 0BB 11K 103 pitches (69 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays added a run in the top of the 9th on a fielder's choice hit by Jansen that scored Matt Chapman
- The Yankes got one back in the bottom half of the inning as Anthony Rizzo smacked a solo jack to to right-center
- Final score: Blue Jays 5 Yankees 1
- Kevin Gausman was outstanding, firing 7 shutout innings, scattering 3 hits while walking none and striking out 11. He started the game retiring the first eight batters he faced. Hausman has been the Blue Jays most consistent starting pitcher so far this season.
- The bullpen gave up a run on 3 hits while striking out 1 over the final 2 innings. The Yankees did their damage on Adam Cimber who gave up the run and three hits. Erik Swanson had an efficient 11-pitch 1-2-3 inning.
- Vlad and Danny Jansen did the bulk of the damage, driving in a pair of runs each. Vlad got things started by silencing the Bronx crowd with a 2-run shot. Daulton Varsho then added a solo shot. Danny Jansen capped off the scoring with an RBI double in the 7th and RBI fielder's choice in the 9th. Both Jansen's and Vlad's bats are heating up.
- Once again, the Blue Jays struggled to drive in base runners, going 1-8 with runners in scoring position
- Up next, the Blue Jays open a week-long home stand starting with three against the White Sox tomorrow night. Last season, the Blue Jays won the season series 4-2, outscoring the White Sox 43-31.