|Matt Chapman was 3-4 with 2 runs scored and an RBI in a 9-4 loss to the Cardinals
After a frustraiting gsme yesterday where the Blue Jays were unable to take advantage of a wild Jack Flaherty, who walked seven batters over five innings, including three in the 1st inning, the Blue Jays were looking to take the rubber match. Newcomer Chris Bassitt got the start and made his regular season debut in a Blue Jays uniform. Bassitt is coming off a solid 2022 season, where he went 15-9 with a solid 3.42ERA over 30 starts for the Mets. Daulton Varsho was in CF and Whit Merrifield was in LF. Santiago Es[inal was at 2B and Alejandro Kirk served as DH. Could the Blue Jays win the first series of the season? Here is today's game recap.
- The Cardinals opened the scoring in the bottom of the 1st as Brendan Donovan whacked a solo blast to right-center and into the Cardinals bullpen\
- A batter later, Alec Burelson bached a solo shot to the opposite field in left
- Four batters later, Nolan Gorman hammered a 2-run bomb to right-center; also scoring Wilson Contreras
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 2nd as Matt Chapman doubled scoring Daulton Varsho
- A batter later, Alejndro Kirk scored on a sac fly by Whit Merrifield
- A batter after that, Danny Jansen singled scoring Chapman
- The Cardinals added a run in the bottom of the 3rd as Nolan Arenado singled home Burelson
- Two batters later, Gorman smacked a 2-run blast to right-center; also scoring Arenado
- The Cardinals added a run in the bottom of the 4th on a sac fly by Donovan that scored Dylan Carlson
- A batter later, Buurelson doubled scoring Tommy Edman
- Chris Bassirt pitching line: 3.1IP 10H 9R (all earned) 0BB 0K 57 pitches (38 for strikes)
- Jordan Montgomery pitching line: 5IP 6H 3R (all earned) 1BB 3K 91 pitches (59 for strikes)
- The Blue Jays got one back in the top of the 6th as Merrifield singled home Chapman
- Final score: Cardinals 9 Blue Jays 4
- Chris Bassitt was lit up for nine tuns on ten hits over 3.1 innings. He did not strike out a batter or walk anybody. Bassitt is a sinker ball pitcher so you know it is not his day when he is being taken yard. Definitely not the first impression he wanted to make in a Blue Jays uniform.
- The bullpen held the Cardinals to six hits, a pair of walks and three strikeouts over the final 4.2 innings. It was nice to see Tim Mayza recorded three outs after not recording a single out on opening day
- Offensively the Blue Jays got three back in the second inning, but were unable to muster more than a run more the remainder of the day
- It's crazy that the Blue Jays still haven't gone yard. You have to wonder if Vlad's knee is bugging him more than he is letting on
- The Blue Jays were 3-5 with runners in scoring position. A lot better than the 12 they left on base the previous 2 games
- Up next, the Blue Jays head to Kansas City to take on the Royals. The Blue Jays won the 2022 season series 5-2, outscoring the Royals 38-19. Jose Berrios starts against Royals righty Brad Singer.